Following the Ruler of the 8th House to Where Transformation Begins

A golden rule in interpretation runs like this: Planets in a house carry a potential and may make things hard or easy, but the house ruler decides the way in which the potential is realized.

~Karen Hamaker-Zondag, The House Connection: How to Read the Houses in an Astrological Chart

Ruler of the 8th house in the 1st house

My transformation begins with self-awareness. My need for transformation is subservient to my need to present a particular image of myself. I transform in an effort to become aware of the impression I give. I transform feelings of vulnerability by being involved with my own persona.

Ruler of the 8th house in the 2nd house

My transformation begins with my attitude towards ownership. My need for transformation is subservient to my need for material security. I transform in an effort to manifest my values. I transform feelings of vulnerability by being involved with the material world.

Ruler of the 8th house in the 3rd house

My transformation begins with my communication skills. My need for transformation is subservient to my need for intellectual interaction. I transform in an effort to be both more receptive and proactive in routine interactions. I transform feelings of vulnerability by writing and conversing on a daily basis.

Ruler of the 8th house in the 4th house

My transformation begins with my roots, heritage and foundation. My need for transformation is subservient to my need for privacy. I transform in an effort to understand my family and where I come from. I transform feelings of vulnerability by safeguarding my privacy.

Ruler of the 8th house in the 5th house

My transformation begins with pleasure. My need for transformation is subservient to my need to have fun. I transform in an effort to express myself and be creative. I transform feelings of vulnerability by being involved in fun, self-expressive, creative, and risky activities.

Ruler of the 8th house in the 6th house

My transformation begins by making adjustments. My need for transformation is subservient to my need to be healthy and have employment. I transform in an effort to make myself well and to be of service. I transform feelings of vulnerability by being involved with animals, work, and health issues, and by conducting self-analysis.

Ruler of the 8th house in the 7th house

My transformation begins in one-to-one relationships. My need for transformation is subservient to my need to be involved in a partnership. I transform in an effort to understand “the other.” I transform feelings of vulnerability through relationships with partners, significant others and adversaries.

Ruler of the 8th house in the 8th house

My transformation begins with the pure desire for transformation. For me, transformation can be an end in itself. I transform in an effort to deal with crisis, to dig deep, and to explore the unknown. I transform feelings of vulnerability through intense experiences.

Ruler of the 8th house in the 9th house

My transformation begins with my opinions. My need for transformation is subservient to my need for expansion. I transform in an effort to expand my horizons. I transform feelings of vulnerability by being involved in larger world issues.

Ruler of the 8th house in the 10th house

My transformation begins with my reputation in society. My need for transformation is subservient to my need for achievement. I transform in an effort to find my true vocation. I transform feelings of vulnerability by being involved in finding my life path.

Ruler of the 8th house in the 11th house

My transformation begins with social reform. My need for transformation is subservient to my need to have friends. I transform in an effort to make connections with like-minded people. I transform feelings of vulnerability by realizing my hopes and dreams.

Ruler of the 8th house in the 12th house

My transformation begins with transcendence. My need for transformation is subservient to my need to be free of bad habits and old patterns of behavior. I transform in an effort to release what limits me. I transform feelings of vulnerability by being involved in solitary activities.

urobouros

Urobouros

Interception

If you have a sign intercepted in the 8th house then the ruler of the intercepted sign is the co-ruler of the house.

If you have Leo on the cusp of the 8th house, with Virgo intercepted in the 8th house, the Sun (which rules Leo) becomes the main ruler of the house and Mercury (the ruler of Virgo) becomes the co-ruler of the house.

You should look at the house position of both the Sun and Mercury to gain information about 8th house transformation –  keeping in mind that the Sun’s position will be more important than Mercury’s position.

When interpreting house rulers, we must always forget about their ordinary significance as planets for the time being. It makes absolutely no difference which planet acts as ruler of a given house; as house ruler it simply informs us about the ups and downs of that specific house. What matters is whether the planet is well or poorly place, and in which house it stands.

~Karen Hamaker-Zondag

Technically, the ruler of each house is the OWNER of the house it rules… therefore this ruler will describe the house better than any planet placed in that house.

~ Marion D. March & Joan McEvers, The Only Way to Learn Astrology: Horoscope Analysis Vol. 3

Tags: , ,

35 Responses to “Following the Ruler of the 8th House to Where Transformation Begins”

No one else is jumping in, and it’s such a fascinating topic! I’m actually coming around a bit maybe, I dunno. For the rulers of of the charts, though, I would use sect, I’m such a quibbling Virgo Moon 3rd house type with my little habits and eccentricities– for example, I have Aquarius on the 8th and 9th, and while I do have a partile Saturn-Uranus trine in Gemini and Libra, my chart is a day chart, with the sun above the horizon, and Saturn in Gemini in Hayz, giving it the little bit of dignity it has (perhaps saving me from a life in the mental institution and just giving me a 2 year taste!) so Saturn in Gemini would technically be ruler of the Aquarius cusp. If it were a night chart, then Uranus would be the ruler of Aquarius and have precedence. Either way, they’re both an influence, but one has has some essential dignity in my natus while the other does not so it makes a difference when trying to predict the future. Which is what transformation is about, isn’t it? Being one thing, and then becoming something else in the future! :p

I’m actually coming around a bit maybe, I dunno.
      Lol :D

You have Saturn in the 12th, does the description fit? (even though it’s brief).
      I re-read Hamaker’s book (some of it) this morning and she says that the night ruler shouldn’t be used for house rulership. People with interceptions, like you have (not in the 8th though), could end up having to look at 4 different planets for one house- too much!

2. Christine says:

No one else is jumping in…

I’m so intimidated by the eighth house! I don’t even know where to begin. I don’t have any planets there, I have no idea how I relate to it! I’m not very in touch with my eighth house self. :(

Aw…there, there :(

lol :p

3. Candice A. Donofrio says:

This is a perfect way to explain and translate the 8th house!

Thank you Candice! Thank you for reading my blog too :)

4. Tara says:

Wow. Such a great article and great resources on the 8th House on your Twitter page, Michelle. I’m becoming enlightened about my transformation already! Thank you Michelle.

You’re welcome- I’m so glad you like the article and that you got something out of it. I hope to post an answer to your question sometime tomorrow.

Hm, I’m a little confused as to how to interpret…Leo & Virgo share my 8th house. My sun is in the 12th, but conjuncts my Asc by one degree…many astrologers choose to interpret that as a 1st House Sun. But ultimately resonate with all the 1st, 11th &12th house interpretations. Should I look at the 10th house as well since Mercury conjuncts my Saturn in the 11th?

How many degrees is your Sun from your Ascendant?

My sun is one degree from my Asc…Sun:26 Sag, Asc: 27 Sag

I would look at all 3 then- the 1st, 12th and 11th.

6. Moonmave says:

This is a wonderful post–and a wonderful series! Anything that helps people find their path to transformation is valuable. I'm enjoying my visit to your blog, as I hadn't come across it before. Donna Cunningham, Skywriter

Thank you Donna, I'm glad you liked it. Where is the ruler of your 8th house?

Thank you Donna, I'm glad you liked it. Where is the ruler of your 8th house?

Thank you Donna, I'm glad you liked it. Where is the ruler of your 8th house?

Thank you Donna, I'm glad you liked it. Where is the ruler of your 8th house?

Thank you Donna, I'm glad you liked it. Where is the ruler of your 8th house?

12. Wg. says:

Wow, I think you nailed me Michelle, and it's funny too, because I was just saying this a few days ago. My 8th is Scorp, so ruled by Pluto (any others?) in Virgo in the 7th.

Some people look at the traditional ruler for house rulership as well, but others don't. You could try looking at the placement of Mars (as traditional ruler of Scorpio) to see if you can relate to the description.

14. Wg. says:

Actually I did take that in consideration Michelle, but it didn't make any difference because it's in the same house.

I thought “any others?” was actually a question- I just got it :D

16. Wg. says:

Oops, just meant to respond to your comment, but oh well, I can 'like it' too, lol. Yeah it was sort of a question, I was too lazy to go look, but I was thinking it was also Mars, just wasn't sure.

17. Meredith says:

So, if I have Leo on the 8th house cusp, and Sun in the 8th (in Virgo) does that mean the ruler of my 8th house is in the 8th?

If you have Leo on the 8th house cusp with the Sun in Virgo also in the 8th house then you have the ruler of the 8th house in the 8th house.

18. Meredith says:

Or…Ruler of the 8th house, meaning Scorpio (Pluto), and the house location of Pluto in my chart?  For example, I have Pluto in the 10th house.   So the ruler of the 8th is in my 10th, perhaps?  I’m confrazzled.

Some astrologers do look to the “natural” ruler of a house for more information sometimes, but for this post your first connection (above) was right.

I would say if you want to have experience sudden jolt of mega watt luck. Try the 8th house transit ;)

Early April, I’ve got Neptune (8th) sextile Neptune (10th) and voila..I won lottery :) for $$$$

I looked up at all my transit and I DONT FIND any aspect that could trigger money accept that one.
    I adore 8th house/ other people’s money since then ;)

that’s pretty awesome! Uranus just entered my 8th house for good. I’d love to have some sudden financial luck :)

20. mixt90 says:

hey there…real nice blog…i’m a beginner…don’t know much…can you please help me interpret these aspects?

jupiter in 8th house (leo)

———
    sun in 10th (scorp)
    venus in 10th (scorp)
    mercury 11th (scorp)
    pluto 11th (scorp)

Lets call these Group (1)planets

————-

Moon in 5th house (taurus)

Call this the grp “2″ planet
    —————

So , (2) is in opposition with all of (1) planets, and both (1) & (2) planets are in square with jupiter.

So from what I read, (pls correct if wrong) , this is a “t-square” with high emphasis on the jupiter planet.

It seems like this may be a problem. Can you tell me what it means? and if its a problem, a solution along with it would be perfect.
    ——————
    Words describing my character : (Age 21)

Rapid transformation ( thankfully for the better) , from an awkward , timid, fearfull, selfish, hot-tempered individual, disorganized, lazy character….a  strong focus on career, idealistic, high ambition etc etc….evolved significantly but room for much improvement..

Currently preparing for a career in finance (in case thats relevant to 8th house)
    ———————–

Other might be relevant aspects:

jupiter sextile mc
    Neptune square mc
    uranus square mc
    mars trine mc
    saturn square mc

——————-

I know what you might be thinking: you might as well pay for a birth chart report… :)

Sorry for wasting too much of your time, but any help would be greatly appreciated…

Thanks!!

Sorry mixt90 but I don’t do personal chart interpretations in this blog … you should pay for a birth chart report ;)

1. Ruler of the 6th House in Houses | AstroFix -

[...] Following the Ruler of the 8th House to where Transformation Begins Share Tags: 6th house, rulers [...]

2. Ruler of the 8th House in Houses | AstroFix -