Moon/Mars Aspects

Speed racer girlForcefully acting on emotions. Energetic emotional life. Touchy feelings. Defensive. Standing up for mom. Standing up for women in general. Fighting on behalf of women. Fighting against women. Fighting with mom. Anger toward mom. Feeling emotionally nourished through activity. Feeling happy when active. Feeling happy with physical exertion. Feeling happy being the leader. Leading women. Being aggressive with women. Feeling happy being alone. Feeling happy with independence. Feel good about standing up for yourself. Standing up for people you care for. Changing action patterns. Acting on feelings. Fluctuating action. Acting on intuition. Acting from a place of inner knowing. Feeling out actions. Emotional aggression. Responding with anger. Responding with force. Abrupt responses. Emotional drive. Driven by hunger. Habitual violence. Domestic violence. Quick responses. Eating quickly. Quick to move-on emotionally.

Feeling supported by men. Feeling nurtured by the masculine. Feeling comforted by men. Feeling comfortable with speed. Feeling happy when things are moving fast. Comfortable with violence. Liking an active home. Wanting stimulation at home. Needing stimulation to feel relaxed and safe. Comfortable with competition. Nourished and supported by competition. Needing competition to feel happy. Needing to be competitive. Competitive with mom. Competitive at home. Competing with women who seem like mother figures. Emotionally brave. Emotionally daring. A habit of taking risks. Sexual habits. Aggressive habits. Asserting how you feel. Recognizing your individual feelings. Fighting for your emotional rights. Fighting to make your feelings known. Actively securing your home and family. Actively defending the country. Steamy emotional life. Getting hot under the collar.

You know what you want and you know how to get it. You know how to go after what will make you happy. You assert yourself toward getting your needs met. You assert yourself in getting what will make you happy. Emotionally fierce. Domestic leader. Leading by appealing to emotions. An angry mother. An independent woman. An independent mother. A brave mother. A mother who is a leader. A mother who experienced violence. A mother who is assertive. A mother who is defensive. A violent mother. A sporty mother. Mom is a fitness trainer. Mom is a race car driver. Mom is an athlete. Moody actions. Acting on moods. Domestic warrior. Feeling like a warrior. How you feel about the masculine. How mom nurtured the masculine in her son. Whether a man feels in touch with his masculine side, or estranged from it. How you feel about your masculine role models. Feeling like a man. Feminist.

65 Responses to “Moon/Mars Aspects”

1. gracehoper says:

It really depends on the sign and house placements too, because of essential and accidental dignity. Essential dignity gives you the ability to act on the planet's energies, while accidental dignity gives you the occasion to do so.

I have Moon (Ruler but not Almuten of my Cancer Rising chart) in Virgo with lots of essential dignity opposed to Mars in Pisces on the 9th cusp, which only has dignity by Triplicity and mutual reception with Venus by Bounds. Both planets square my natal Neptune on the 6th cusp in Sagittarius.

As ruler of my chart and as the more dignified planet, I've always identified more with the Moon placement, I think. In my chart, Luna never stood in for my mother because she wasn't a Lunar sort– instead she was represented by Venus in Taurus on Algol Star in the 11th. My mother was always one of my best friends. (And indeed, Algol is the star which rules death by hanging, which is how my mother died.)

I've often wondered if my Moon/Mars/Neptune T-Square was responsible for my Schizo-affective/Bipolar Disorder diagnosis. Neptune being the Apex between these two allows for a LOT of interesting mentation!

• Venus in 12th says:

Thanks for sharing what you wonder about your diagnosis.  I am learning about a friend who has this diagnosis at the same time that my understanding of astrology is growing by leaps and bounds.

How do you feel about Ceres's role in fleshing out the mother role?

I've been thinking that the Moon as mother is really limited. The Moon as mother is passive, like the blank page of a coloring book that we color in with our own colors. Ceres, on the other hand, is an active mother symbol. What do you think? Does she show how mom actively cared for you?

3. gracehoper says:

Honestly, I don't use asteroids. But let's see. I have Ceres at 15 Sagittarius in the 6th, disposited by Jupiter in the 8th. The 6th house is the house of servants, and my mother was a house-cleaner earlier in her life (but an artist in her later life, more indicative of the Venus in Taurus sextile MC.) Ceres is opposed to my Saturn in Gemini in the 12th with an orb of 4 degrees, and she was hospitalized several times during her life and ultimately ended her life. Ceres sextiles Uranus in the 4th and Jupiter in the 8th, the former aspect showing that I lived with her only on and off, actually only for a minority of my childhood. My grandparents mostly raised me. But later on in life, whenever I needed it, I was able to depend on her for a place to live or a few hundred dollars.

4. Erika says:

Thank you Michelle!

I see a lot of this in myself. I am constantly standing up for something – myself, others. What is funny is that I am actually taking a personal trainer exam in less than a month. I have the trine with Mars in the 5th and the Moon in the 9th so that makes sense.

I feel like the Moon represents more of my emotions, or my own mothering instincts, as opposed to literally my mother. Although there actually is some competition between us, but I attribute that to a loose Moon-Pluto conjunction. I also have Ceres in Aries, now that I think about it…

Hi Erika,

I think I'm going to write a longer more in-depth post about Moon-Mars too, but I wanted to start with this one to get my brain going.
    Mars in the 5th and Moon in the 9th would be insprining about standing up for beliefs.

I was thinking about my boyfriend who has Moon-Mars square and his mother is aggressive, and also angry. I was also thinking about my Dad who has the trine- his mother ran the family; she was in charge.

Many of the psychological astrology books (by Liz Greene, for example) do literally associate the mother with the Moon. They extend the Moon to the aspects and use them to literally describe the mother. It's something to think about…

So, there is some relevancy.

I think I mentioned before, but my Moon is a good representation of my mother but I feel that the interpretation lacks something. Plus, why would my emotional life be entirely dependent on my relationship with my mother? Maybe in early childhood, but ongoing?

• Earnest Dodge says:

I think one needs to keep a balance between Moon as ‘natural significator’ and the ruler of the 10th house as the house of the mother, not to mention triplicity rulers, which most accurately show change through time in the natal chart, imo.

7. technoservice says:

applause to Michelle! Amazing!

8. mysticskye says:

I have my Moon in Pisces trine my Mars in Scorpio. I get along wonderfully with men, able to keep friendships just that, friendships. Although I enjoy hanging out with the boys, i long for the emotional understanding of my girlfriends. Friendships with women are very fulfilling for me, as I am not the 'catty' type at all. I need my ladies in my life :)

9. mysticskye says:

I also grew up with my Mom and Grandfather. My Father left when I was a baby. My Mom is my best friend, although a bit too passive at times!

10. mysticskye says:

I meant my grandmother, not my grandfather…oops!

Do you have Pluto in aspect to your Ascendant?

The trine does seem like a good aspect to get along with both men and women.

• Jara says:

Veddy in-ter-es-ting. What do you think about Moon-Mars conjunction in men?

I have a Moon-Mars aspect. I usually enter most relationships with men seeking nurturing and friendship. I’ve found that’s what they *say* they are offering to me, but it usually comes with a side of ulterior motives (them *really* wanting sex, romance, competition or domination). Also, men tend to either be over-protective with me to the point that it feels controlling or they’re attempting to exploit me for something (see above). If I don’t let them use me the way that they want, then they get angry. I also attract women who center their dreams around men.

I haven’t looked specifically into this conjunction in men. Of the men I know with Moon/Mars aspects, I think they can be over-protective. I haven’t noticed that they’re exploitative – maybe the men you’re meeting have other influences.

My boyfriend has the square. He has some anger with his mother, he’s very protective (also has Capricorn rising), however, I don’t feel that he tries to exploit me. He gets very grumpy when he feels his needs aren’t getting met though.

I don’t have an aspect between Mars and the Moon, though I do have Mars in Cancer.

• Earnest Dodge says:

When looking at the conjunction, I think there’s going to be an enormous array of possible expressions depending on which sign the conjunction is in, not to mention the house– if the conjunction is not angular, the planets may not express themselves much at all unless other accidental dignity allows such expression.

Definitely.

13. mysticskye says:

No, my Pluto is in my 11th house in Libra. lets see, Pluto sextile Leo Saturn (9th house), Pluto sextile my 1st house Venus-Neptune conjunction in sag.

Birth Info:
    November 2 1976
    Hazlehusrt, MS
    7:18 AM

• Earnest Dodge says:

Normally I look to Saturn as the natural significator of grandparents (and for more detail, the 10th from the 4th and the 10th) and you do have a very close trine from Venus to Saturn– quite appropriate for close relationship with the grandmother.

I was wondering because I've read that people who have close relationships with a grandparent often have Pluto in aspect to the Ascendant. You don't- but, you do have a lot of Scorpio! I don't think Scorpio counts for this though.

I have Aquarius Moon in the 5th trine retrograde Gemini Mars in the 9th. I try to stand up for what I believe in, which included advocating on my mom’s behalf when she wasn’t able to take care of herself. Before she got sick, it was easy for me to get very angry with her. I also need to be physically active and love to walk and dance. When I was a kid, I was good at certain kinds of competitions, such as sprinting, swimming and even jump roping. Kind of makes sense considering my Mars is in Gemini. Actually, I related to a lot of your descriptions.

I think my Aquarius Moon more describes the way I perceived my mother’s ability (or inability) to meet my emotional needs for nurturing, whereas in my chart at least, Ceres seems to better represent the way she expressed her love for me through caring for my physical needs. I’m not a professional astrologer though, so take it for what it’s worth. :)

I'm very interested in Ceres as the actively participating mother- what she consciously and deliberately did to take care of you. The Moon seems more representative of the mother's unconscious instincts and desires- what she did, and the effect she had, without any purposeful effort on her part. What do you think?

Hi Michelle – I think that’s a good way to put it. I also think two different people with two different natures will view the same mother differently, although certain basic patterns of relating are likely to remain consistent. I hope you pursue this; I’d love to read more of your thoughts on the subject. My mother was a Taurus Sun and Moon, Virgo rising, and it was always important to her that we be well cared for in a physical sense. It required a deliberate, conscious effort on her part. Her Mars was in Aquarius.

Using my own case as an example, my mother always came across as contradictory, outspoken (frank), high-strung, independent, and emotionally cold/distant/undependable (Aquarius Moon). Yet with my Libra Ceres in the 2nd, she always made sure I had the perfect party dresses (which she designed and sewed herself), that our home was beautifully decorated and homey, and that there was healthy food in our stomachs. I knew that was her natural way of expressing love, but for me, it wasn’t always enough. When I was very young, I think she spent time nurturing me intellectually through reading and such.

Interestingly, my brother’s perception of my mother is completely different; in fact, she did relate to him in a completely different way. His Moon is in Taurus/4th house and he considered my mom to be emotionally loving and caring in a very calm, practical, if somewhat moody way. His Ceres is in Aries/2nd house, so again there’s that connection to Taurus/2nd house way of giving. He saw my mother as dynamic and independent, with a hot temper and warrior spirit, always willing to fight to protect him and provide for his physical needs. I think he rejected any conscious acknowledgment of her more erratic behavior. Aquarius is intercepted in his chart.

You really know your own chart LB :) I love this delineation.

In my chart I have Ceres in Gemini in the 10th making a sextile to my Sun/Black Moon Lilith conjunction in Aries in the 8th.

My mother deliberately made sure that my brother and I always had fresh, healthy food as well. My mom's sister (my aunt- obviously) passed away at age 28 from a brain tumor. Somehow, at that time, at age 22, in 1979, my mom came to the conclusion that my aunt's death was caused in part by not eating fresh food. She never gave us processed, canned or fast food. We were not allowed to eat at McDonald's or Burger King. I think that was amazing of my mom to come to that insight at that time.

That's a great example of Ceres applying her intellect (in Gemini) to reach sound conclusions regarding nurturing. Smart mom. :)

20. Paris says:

Though I am a tad late in responding to your exquisitely composed entry regarding Moon-Mars, I want to let you know that I resonate very much with the aforementioned descriptions of the aspect. I did feel, however, that you ought to have included the brooding sexuality so often synonymous with Moon-Mars (fed with sex), as well as the ability to smell danger from miles away (intuition for aggression). Sue Tompkins describes the aspect very well. You might do well to pick up her book of Astrological Aspects if you haven’t yet!

On the flip side, many parts of your entry completely hit home with me. My mother was very much the authority figure in my household growing up, after my abusive father abandoned us around age 5. Naturally, she is and was a dominating influence in my life. I am more protective of her than even myself! We do quarrel very often though. As much as I hate to admit it, I am extremely touchy with a hairline temper that’s backed by forceful emotions I don’t even know I possess until the time comes. In keeping with protecting my mother, I tend to also stand up for other women who are degraded by terminology like “bitch” and “whore”. I most definitely feel nurtured by the masculine, but I don’t know if I would attribute that to Moon-Mars so much as I would attribute it to the void caused by the lack of a father figure growing up. Finally, I must ALWAYS be the leader. It’s simply an imperative course of action for me. While I can be very nurturing, sensitive, and empathetic, I can just as easily be aggressive, domineering, and condescending if slighted.

Other aspects that may play a role in the above: Cancer Midheaven, unaspected Sun. And for the record, I have a Moon-Mars opposite. Gemini Moon in the 9th/Sagittarius Mars in the 3rd.

Please do share more of your interpretations with us! They’re a joy to read. Please consider Venus-Pluto aspects!

Hi Paris,

It’s never too late to comment on any post.

I do already own Sue Tompkins’s book. Thank you for the suggestions for additions however, it’s rarely my intention in any post to cover absolutely everything that one could ever say about a position- if I did, what would there be left to talk about? This is a blog after all, so there needs to be something to discuss, and there’s always more to write ;) “Fed on desire” would have been a good addition though.

I’m glad you enjoyed this series- I do plan to continue with these brainstorm posts.

22. Low Gale Haze says:

My moon sextiles my pluto and quincux my mars, and my mother is almost the militar type. She orders just for the sake of ordering, and you have to do everything exactly as she does, or even antecipate what she wants you to do. She also have traits of virgo, and my moon is in virgo. Even though she was a very lovely mom and also nurtured me mainly physically (I was the vilain here, ’cause I hated being hugged and kissed). She is oppressively careful with me too, but she is getting better at this. And I relate to her with a lot of struggle, but I am very protective of her. I would kill or even die for her, but I am like this for all my family. But ceres also have something to do with my mother, since it’s square both my saturn and my uranus and sesquiquadrate my pluto. The protective nature, strong personality, the fact that even with all of this she is always willing for me to get my own life and all. And she spend all the time caring about our home, and ceres is also on a loose conjunction with my imum coeli.
    Well, the other parts are awesome too and have a lot to do with me. I was always standing up for women when I was a child. Now I don’t relate so well with them, it depends on a lot of things. Most of my friends are guys. But I can’t say I relate well with men too. I feel great at high speeds and I love to run and to walk, but to slide down something at full speed is what I like the most. Thinking of it, I must try to get back to skateboarding. I eat compulsively, and I want to consume everything around me too, maybe it have something to do with the quincux and the sextile.

Do you and your mom have Cancer placements?

• Low Gale Haze says:

I can’t say about my mom, but I have chiron in cancer. And cancer is my descendant, and in placidus it is also the sign of my 8th house.

Chiron in Cancer suggests extreme sensitivity to mothering issues and some wounding surrounding your nurturing and how you were cared for.

• Low Gale Haze says:

Chiron is also trine my pluto and square my mars. It’s also square my mercury and opposite my neptune. And a lot of other aspects, the only planet it doesnt aspect is my saturn. It have no aspect to the north node too and niether to the immum and medium coeli, only to the ascendant and the descendant. I saw it now… The greatest part are easy aspects at least.

23. Zodiacal_macaw_1210 says:

I have a Moon in Aquarius (2H) sextile Mars in Sagittarius (12H). I will have to agree that I do show my emotions, that I can be very defensive. Not surprisingly, I defend the women in my life. I would also have to agree that I can be ambitious and a “go-getter”. I don’t know what contributes this in my chart but I tend to see the big picture but I don’t pay too much attention on how to get there :/

With the Moon representing the mother figure, my mom is very assertive – actually, that’s her most prominent trait. She’s also very independent and bold. Unfortunately, most of my arguments are with my mother. My mom is a Sun in Libra, Moon in Gemini, Ascendant in Aquarius. My Moon , Saturn and Juno conjunct my mom’s Ascendant and Chiron and my Mars sextiles both Chiron and her Ascendant. Wonder what that could mean?

Wonder what that could mean?
      A very complicated mother-son relationship. Are you the first born?

Wonder what that could mean?
      A very complicated mother-son relationship. Are you the first born?

• Zodiacal_macaw_1210 says:

Nope, I’m the youngest….well, there’s only me and my sister. My sister is a Sun in Cancer, Moon in Cancer and Ascendant in Capricorn

Wonder what that could mean?
      A very complicated mother-son relationship. Are you the first born?

24. Lotusgypsy says:

Ha! Never thought of that one – ‘feeling like a man’. I have a semi-sextile with Moon/Mars.

25. Mert says:

i am a man, square aspect (moon pisces 1th, mars gemini 3th)
    very bad or bad?

What is your ascendant sign?

• Mert says:

ascendant is pisces again =(((
        because of these aspect i have always the same problem with the partners i met. if i desire someone so badly, i cant get along or her character will not suit me or the opposite which is if i can get along with someone, i dont have the ability to desire her…. i think i need to learn balance it in my mind i guess =)) at least i have sun conjunct venus and venus trine jupiter i am really easy to get along SOMETIMES =)))

It sounds like to much idealization and the need to relieve the tension between your emotional and mental selves.

26. Atlast says:

I have a quintile and I never quite understood it… I know that venus quintiles, in general, bring artistics abillities, and sun quintiles bring natural gifts, but what a moon mars quintile can bring? Maybe the abillity to go after what makes me happy?

I have a quintile and I never quite understood it
      I’m not sure if anyone understands them. Nobody seems to be able to explain quintiles and biquintiles in a way that makes it obvious what they mean. I have a new idea about what they may indicate and I’ll be writing a post about that idea next week. Have you read my previous Quintiles and Biquintiles post? http://astrofix.net/2010/09/27/quintiles-and-biquintiles/

• Atlast says:

That would be awesome! – your post is really good, can’t wait for a continuation.
        Quintiles are weird, nobody nows how they work, but everybody know they do.
        Observing some friends I kind of related the quintiles to stuff they do well. For exemple, I have a friend who’s only (really) mercury aspect is a quintile with moon, and he speaks about his feelings in a way that everybody wants to listen, and he’s so good for adivices!
        There are others two friends who’s mars quintile uranus and they are so independent I feel that they could do -anything- by thenselves.

Sorry running out from the theme of the post, but I hope this kind of information helps you in your next post.

Observing some friends I kind of related the quintiles to stuff they do well
          Yes, that’s a similar feeling  I get.

• Earnest Dodge says:

I wouldn’t say everyone agrees that quintiles have any meaning. ;)

27. Susan says:

Moon merc mars nept between 6-10 degrees scorpio 3rd: yes yes yes! I prefer the company of men, race car driving, own a business in the man’s world, love it, love helping women, happy when active, every single word of it. Will fight for truth or justice, defend the underdog. Unafraid- ever.

28. Jamaal Harmon says:

I have moon in aries, trine mars in a saggitarius. I can admit that I was overly protective of my mother, growing up. Not so much now. My father  was abusive towards my mom during their marriage. I would fight him, to stop his violence towards people my mother. my mom was too “headstrong” as a women, definitely a leader. She’d never back down from him.  So I had to make sure her face didn’t get ripped off. I was so bold back then. I think my mars conjuncted uranus had lots to do with it.

Thank you for sharing your experience, Jamaal.

29. Anthony says:

Hi Michelle,

Alas: another post that I can resonate with very well. Personally, I have a Moon-Mars opposition. It’s actually my Moon in Gemini directly opposite a Mercury-Mars conjunction in Sagittarius. The polarity is 9th House vs. 2nd/3rd House. I am extremely sensitive, but in a forceful and aggressive way. I will typically react to that which triggers me in a rather vicious attempt to defend myself. Those who know me well will comment on the fact that I’m far too defensive for my own good. Once I do take the time to consider what they mean, I do see that I am, in fact, very much on the defense. I believe this stems from a childhood (Moon) of chaos (Mars) in which I’m always on guard for an attack of some sort. I am extremely safety-conscious in public places and unconsciously project (Moon) myself onto others with a domineering and not-to-be-reckoned with (Mars) countenance. As I said, his Moon-Mars energy is filtered through Mercury, so my words tend to be able to puncture egos and verbally murder when my emotions are aroused. Mars is in the 3rd House. My voice can get louder than anyone’s I’ve ever heard. I also get angry when there is not enough food at the dinner table. I am very much physically active and love to exercise and drain all of my pent up energy that I feel develops from always expecting attack and not receiving it! All of the adrenaline builds up, but because it’s not use, it needs release! The gym is my best friend. Subconsciously, I am very angry with my mother for various things — therapists have aided me in realizing this. By the same token, however, I grew up with a mother asphyxiation; I was so overprotective of her that it consumed me whole. I was so worried of a danger befalling her. Mom was very impatient and disciplinarian when I was a child, too; it goes with that that she yelled a lot. I also felt I had to protect her from my abusive father. I love being the leader, and cannot really function in any other role. My relationships with men are nothing to write home about. It’s not my intention to come across with slightest ounce of pretension, but men are usually very intimidated by me, and I like to keep it that way. I suppose, subconsciously, that in that way, I am precipitating a fight.

30. Eighth House Astrology says:

I have the Moon opposite Mars exact (10 Aquarius-10 Leo). I see a lot of these characteristics in not only my life but the people around me. My mother is a firecracker, a force to be reckoned with (I also have Pluto tightly square this opposition, what a wonderful t-square!), I’ve never experienced her as anything less than a fighter.  I also feel inexplicably more comfortable around men than women. I feel like I’m “more” understood, but that could be me acting out the “Mars” of the opposition more than the “Moon”, I’m sure.

Don’t neglect your Moon.

31. Nga Ngắc Ngoải says:

Yep, I have a feminist tendency since forever. But I want to be nurtured by men too :)) This site’s amazing. 90% of everything I’ve just read resonates very well with me.

I’m glad you like it :)

32. mumbaikar says:

MICHELLE….. YOU ARE THE BEST!!!

Mmkay … thanks? :)

33. Ezou says:

I have so much passions, emotions and intensity and a will to do something with all this inside, and I do feel and think depressed when due to my life circumstances I have had to sit at home while those passions, emotions and intensity are still, sitting inside the self, bottoled up in a jar.
    No one will ever understand. I have my Venus Square Mars: I do not care for birth chart and shit. If I have to describe my own self: “I am a passionte soldier, who needs to act on those passions, those intensity and those emotions and those intellectual insights.” I always consider my own self Mars/Venus/Pluto/Moon type of a person while Scorpio, Aries, and Aquarius and the freedom of Sag put together–and the touch of a Pisces Imagination.

34. pinstru says:

Mars in Cancer trine Moon in Pisces…this really stood out to me: “Comfortable with violence.” I saw that and automatically said “oh…that’s where that comes from.” I attributed that to a (very) wide trine from Mars to Pluto, but this makes more sense. My feelings are very active, constantly changing, and bordering on violent tendencies to a considerable degree, but it usually stays in my mind (Mars being in Cancer more than likely). I’ll just automatically imagine violent situations instead of going out and working towards them in real life. It’s strange to say that some of my most common fantasies involve heavy violence and a lot of blood (connected that too…Mars associated with blood, and…well…blood kinda turns me on), but I make it aesthetically pleasing (Mars closely conjunct Venus which is also trining my moon).

“Feeling happy when active. Feeling happy with physical exertion. Feeling comfortable with speed.” <—Yea I used to do track :) It was definitely a high whenever I ran, and even now I get sudden urges to just run…especially at night when it's nice and cool outside and it seems like you can easily lose yourself in the darkness. But other than that I'm quite lazy though, so I never actually act on it…I imagine doing it though.

35. niecy says:

I have this conjunction in Leo. I am a woman however I am known to have explosive emotional expression. When I’m hurt I lash out, HARD! I am very close with my mother however and protect her with everything I have. However most people seem to think I am emotionless, until I finally let out that boat load of feeling I’ve been keeping to myself to protect my ego.

1. Michelle -

#astrology Moon – Mars: Brainstorm – Forcefully acting on emotions. Energetic emotionally life. Touchy feelings. Def… http://ow.ly/17OFPq