Moon/Saturn Aspects

Death Valley Dune by Cole Thompson

"Death Valley Dune" by Cole Thompson

Melancholy. Depressed emotions. Little emotion. A burdened mother. A responsible woman. A responsible mother. Taking on responsibility at an early age. Emotions are a burden. Heavy feelings. Sad feelings. Structured emotions. Rigid emotions. Emotional authority. An authority on feelings. An authority on habits. An authority on women. An authority on mothering and nurturing. Anorexic. Lack of emotion. Lack of caring. Lack of nurturing. Lack of nourishment. Mom as the authority figure. Mom was the disciplinarian. An authoritative woman. Denying feelings. Denying emotion. Cut off from emotion. Cut off from self-care. Denied nurturing. Denied happiness. Unable to feel happiness. Becoming a master of your emotional realm. Teaching yourself how to feel. Gaining mastery over habitual response patterns.

Master of defense. Gaining mastery over emotional responses. Learning how to make your own happiness. Learning how to make your own joy. Learning how to emotionally fulfill yourself. Learning how to take care of yourself. Learning how to meet your own needs. Learning  how to cope with depression. The amount you felt your father cared. An emotional father. Fluctuating feelings about responsibility. Fluctuating feelings about structure and authority. Fluctuating feelings about discipline and hard work. Feeling okay with hard work. A sensitive authority figure. A sensitive father. A defensive stance. Lack of joy. Emotional repression. Feeling okay with rules and regulations that support emotional response and expression. Comfortable not showing emotion. Happy in a position of authority. Disciplined habits. Disciplined activities bring happiness. Surmounting obstacles brings happiness. Achievement brings happiness. Having an intuitive sense of time.

Having a natural sense of authority. The capacity to handle responsibility with aplomb. Feeling that there is never enough time. Hardened emotions. A hard childhood. Lack of emotional expression as a child. Lack of support during childhood. Denied support. Feeling responsible for mom. Taking responsibility for your mother. The child who takes care of the parent. Early maturity. Emotional responsibility. Dutiful emotional expression. Dutiful habits. Inhibited emotional expression. The responsible child. Emotional management. Mood management. Learning how to be happy- the hard way. Making time for your own needs. Neglected by mom. Loneliness. Hardened emotions. Mature responses. Emotional mountains and barriers. Blocked intuition. Mastering  intuition. Intuitive teacher. Hardened defenses. Crystallized habits. Master of the emotional domain. Mood master. Barren landscape. Bleak house. Keeping a stiff upper lip. Eating schedules. Finding happiness in the real world. Taking responsibility for you own emotional well-being.

77 Responses to “Moon/Saturn Aspects”

1. Natasha says:

Gah. Perfect.

Which aspect do you have, the trine?

3. jjasonham says:

Very good post. I have the trine. These statements are so true. When I think of these aspects the first thing that pops in my mind is Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice.

Mr. Darcy is a good choice- actually, Colin Firth in anything would fit. I just looked him up on Astrotheme- depending on what time of day he was born, he does have a Moon/Saturn trine: http://www.astrotheme.com/portraits/tvRGnf77g4Q… (Actually, a Moon/Saturn/Sun grand trine).

5. jjasonham says:

I liked the 2005 version as well. Matthew McFaddyen played Darcy. I input his info for noon and he has an exact Moon-Saturn trine, along with a Sun-Saturn square. This is fun!

David Bowie has a Moon/Saturn conjunction in Leo. The artist Francis Bacon had the conjunction had it in Aries, and Sophia Loren has it in Aquarius. :D

7. jjasonham says:

Marilyn Monroe has a square. She was known for being quite friendly and loving, but also for having that hint of sadness. We all know her biography about her mother and childhood…

8. Ebonystarr55 says:

I appreciate you doing this post. I have the moon biquintile saturn aspect and I have been struggling to understand it more and how it may play out in my life.

Thank you for reading Ebonystarr55 :D

Biquintiles indicate talents we have that have nothing to do with our family or upbringing, or anything else really. Some astrologers have suggested that they show style- a way of thinking, the kind of art and fashion we like, or a style of doing things. With the Moon biquintile Saturn, you could like melancholy sad songs, you might have a style of emotional restraint, or you might have a sense of responsibilty that doesn't fit in with how you were raised because it's all your own.

10. Ebonystarr55 says:

Thank you so much for that. It's not an aspect that is talked about as much, so I had been trying to piece together an understanding based on what I already knew. Your perspective helps greatly.

Also wanted to say that I really enjoy reading your blog. It's wonderful! :-)

11. Nora Jean Stone says:

Gemini Moon square Virgo Saturn: Took a long time to appreciate the aspect. I read today that people are like tea – they don't know their strength until they are in hot water. Difficult aspects like the Moon square Saturn give us challenges through which we become stronger – if we keep a long term goal in mind: good for the family, helping mom, children are a joyful burden, etc.

Poor Marilyn. I haven't looked at her chart much, but I do know some of her story. She always seemed a tragic character to me.

“people are like tea – they don't know their strength until they are in hot water.”

I love that- I just sent it to twitter :D

I do think that keeping the long term in mind is helpful, especially because of the way that Saturn restricts whatever it touches. Moon/Saturn might feel that whatever it is currently feeling is all that there is.

Thank you for reading Nora!

14. Natasha says:

I have a square!!

Out of sign- Pisces/Scorpio. For some reason I didn't remember that.

16. tatiana.larina says:

Cap Moon opposition Cancer Saturn – that's an industrial-strength Moon-Saturn aspect. Yep, it sucks.

I know quite a few people with that opposition. Two of them have the Sun in Cancer conjunct Saturn in Cancer opposing the Moon in Capricorn. With the Moon and Saturn in mutual reception, those planets support each other. Sometimes they support each other's bad habits, but often they support the good habits. With the Moon and Saturn in mutual reception I would expect you to be emotionally reliable- someone I could count on in a moment of need, or when I needed a shoulder to cry on.

19. tatiana.larina says:

my Moon and Saturn form a part of Grand Cardinal Cross, with Sun in Aries and Pluto in Libra and some of these planets are also close to axes. Suffice to say 80% of the things that you wrote in your post ring true for me… so true that I have just started therapy (perhaps under the influence of my progressive Moon in 12th house). A shoulder to cry on? Perhaps, but right now I'm in need of such a shoulder myself.

I wish you good luck Tatiana. Thank you for reading.

21. tatiana.larina says:

I wish you good luck Tatiana. Thank you for reading.

23. visions says:

i have the trine ! plus saturn is conjunct the ascendant in virgo and my moon is in taurus, I am quite afraid of the description because even with the trine we can see few positive gain even with positive aspect !

I think that ability to commit to something once you start is a very positive Saturn attribute.

24. Balil52 says:

Thank you for sharing your true emotions and all of the terms above! I have Moon/Mars/ Saturn aspects, and much of the above applies to me. I had PTSD when I was a teen from some of those life experiences. I’ve worked hard not be a victim and change my mind/body/reality. As you said, for the most part I do very well but it does come and go, ebb and flow. Right now a messy divorce and the Cardinal Square is triggering it. Astrology has always been a life saver for me, and talking to others who share my experience. With much Gratitude. Lauren Sage

Astrology really does help give an objective view. I think it also shows us what tools we have to deal with difficult energy. Thank you for sharing your experience Lauren :)

25. Zodiacal_macaw_1210 says:

Refer to our chat on “Depression: Learning to be My Own Cheerleader”.

26. necessaryvoodoo says:

I love all your brainstorms michelle!!
    I’ve got the sextile, I hope it could mean help for my north node in capricorn.

It should be helpful for your NN. Maybe making it easier for you to emotionally commit to your goals.

27. Le Feu Follet says:

Today I discovered I have a Saturn-Moon conjunction. I had never tried a bigger orb for the Moon and the Sun, the conjunction is very wide (Moon 27 Aquarius 43′, Saturn 7 Pisces 55′) but I feel everything you mentioned. Everyday I find new informations in my chart that explain the lack of a mother in my life (my mother died when I was three).

Loneliness, depressive emotions, lack of joy, hard childhood, blocked intuition, lack of support during childhood, denied support, denied nurturing, denied happiness. All of this and many other things are strong in my life, specially loneliness and denied happiness. Both the Saturn and Moon are in the 9th house of foreigners and long/permanent travels, all my friends and people who “nurture” me live very far away and I feel extremely lonely without them. With the Moon representing the home, I hate the place where I was born and feel that living here is a burden. My entire family, in general, is a burden to me. I seek to get out of here as soon as I can.

My Moon is very messed up in my chart, there are many indicatives of my mother’s absence and problems with emotions/family: Aquarius Moon, Moon semi-sextile Uranus, the perfect Moon-Pluto square, Moon conjunct Saturn, Moon opposite Chiron. I have two T-Squares involving the Moon: Moon-Pluto-Chiron and Moon-Pluto-Ceres and a Grand Cross between the Moon, Pluto/North Node, Chiron and South Node. I could go even further and talk about Ceres, the nurturer, which is also not so well aspected, but it’s not the case. Having Saturn in Pisces doesn’t help at all: I feel pity for myself, which is ridiculous.

You have so many aspects to your Moon. I think that learning how to nurture yourself and make yourself happy are some of the key lessons of Moon/Saturn placements. Getting beyond the emptiness, fear and rigidity can be difficult, but you being to warm up to the idea that happiness truly does come from within.

Ceres seems to me to represent the “active” mother – how your mother actively took care of you. What do you think?

• Le Feu Follet says:

I agree. Its influences in my life, however, aren’t very clear to me. I tend to look at Ceres as a general (but yes, active) mother – it could be the biological mother or not.

You see, Ceres is in my 11th house, which supports what I said about friends nurturing me. My friends want to take care of me, and they do, even in distance. I consider them my real family. My Ceres-Moon square seems to explain exactly the problems with nurturing, as if there was a fight between my family/biological mother and the ones that want to nurture me and be my family. Even though this fight isn’t “real”, it happens within myself: constant denial of my biological family in favor of another. This scares me a bit because Ceres is also conjunct my South Node, so this can be my downfall.

Ceres quintile and Jupiter trine Saturn in my chart support what you said: I need to find my happiness by my own. I cannot expect people to give it to me. Even if they want to, it’s impossible if I don’t change inner patterns. “Being my own nurturer” makes much sense. Thank you, Michelle!

Thank you for being willing to share your experiences.

By the way, I do plan to tackle asteroid aspects this year, including Ceres.

28. Mars Square Uranus says:

Industrial places are confortable.

That’s a possibility, or just places with clean lines, that are minimal and somewhat austere. Do you have the Moon and Saturn in aspect?

• Mars Square Uranus says:

Yes, the sextile.
        I’m necessary voodo, with other nickname. I have a love-hate relationship with human civilization, technology,science fiction and industrial environments, but it can be more a product of the lots of aspects from the uranus-neptune conjunction (opposes ascendant; sesquisquares mercury,venus and jupiter; squares moon and mars; and quintiles midheaven.)

I certainly try to adjust to accept human-made shit, but it has a very evil side.

• Mars Square Uranus says:

oh, and thanks one more time for all your blog, the most complete ever on the internet.
        I’m waiting for the uranus-neptune brainstorm! :-)

Thank you MsU.

29. Scythe404 says:

I’m curious… do you think that Moon/Saturn aspects have a strong affinity with the Moon in Capricorn? Could a Moon/Saturn person be considered equal to a Capricorn Moon person?

They have some similarities but they are not the same. I have the Moon conjunct Saturn, but my Moon is in Leo not in Capricorn. My Leo Moon manifests as a Leo Moon, but it has restrictions. I’m fairly reserved in how much I share emotionally with other people, but when I do share I do it in a Leo way.

• Scythe404 says:

Thanks for the quick reply, Michelle! I’ve really enjoyed your blog so far.

After reading about these aspects I’m really fascinated by where the line is between a strong, character-colouring aspect (I have an exact opposition between a Gemini Moon and Sagittarius Saturn/Uranus conjunction) and a pure, planetary expression. I guess it’s pretty Saturnian to find boundaries fascinating, isn’t it? And my closest friends all have either strong Saturns or Capricorn Suns/Moons. I don’t have any friends with unaspected planets, though, so it’s interesting to think about what a naked planet walking down the street without any aspects to hide its features behind might look like as opposed to a planet coloured by a heavy aspect (like a Scorpio Sun I know as opposed to a very intense Aquarius Sun Square Scorpio Pluto I know).

Yes, it is. It would be helpful to find a collection of people with unaspected Moons to see what a “pure” Moon is like.

• Zoraida says:

Michelle, I have moon in Sagittarius square saturn in Pisces. I know exactly what you mean about being a little reserved, and being careful about revealing things to certain people! I am very enthusiastic and a free spirit, love to travel and explore, but I am private, sometimes shy too, and sensitive. But I’m not cold, at all. I think I probably hold my passions inside ( and I think maybe others can see that… I have Leo Ascendant). I hold back with some people. I also have mercury in Sagittarius, square Saturn, so I feel myself, holding back, when I speak sometimes……. tactful, yes. But I also have moon-mercury conjunct and they both sextile venus(in Aquarius) – so I guess both my moon and mercury get some great support from venus! I feel such a weird mixture, LOL! How does saturn in Pisces work? Mine’s in the 8th house.

30. Gabriel Monteiro says:

Oh, boy… I have moon in square with saturn, uranus, neptune and ascendant.

What has your experience of those aspects been?

31. DW says:

Astrology is so dead on. I have Saturn Con Moon and have struggled with depression and various issues throughout my life and I recently had a breakthrough – after having my first child at 39 and being a single mom…..I have finally been able to see how I was forced to be the parent in the relationship with my mom for my entire life. I was burdened with all of her issues and I also now see how her childishness and manipulative ways caused constant strife with my father, who she always laid the blame on. My relationship with my mother has been completely transformed. I think this is happening now because Pluto is in Capricorn, transiting my 12th house, so all of the things that have been buried are now coming to light.

Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment, DW. I’ve noticed that many people with the Moon conjunct Saturn have a young mother which really confuses the issue about who’s the parent in the relationship.

32. luiza says:

exept for a biquintile of mars and a sextille with mercury, my moon is really complicated. I feelt that this square with saturn has aver been the hardest aspect that I have in my entire chart. But this ear saturn conjuncted moon and after a deep depression I found this site:

I highly recomend for everybody with this aspect, even who was quintiles or trines.

I went through a deep depression when transiting Saturn made a conjunction to my Moon as well.

33. babs says:

Fascinating stuff!  I’m curious about a Moon Saturn conjunction in Leo though.  Why do so many actors have this one?  I would think Moon in Leo likes to be quite dramatic in the expression of emotion, so wouldn’t the Saturn squash that need?   Or, makes it harder?  Actually, when I think about it, acting is the perfect solution!  There’s no real threat in expressing emotion when one is acting.  There’s no real feelings at risk.  It;s just a part after all.    And, how does Moon Saturn in Leo do in romance?  I’m asking because Leo is the sign of romance……do they tread very carefully in romance, or not?  I just heard from someone who has Moon Saturn conjunct in Leo go on and on about how madly in love he is with his new girlfriend.  Curious about this aspect.

Saturn doesn’t eliminate Leo’s desires but it can bring feelings of limitation, fear, intimidation, self-doubt, etc… If you have the Moon conjunct Saturn in Leo then you probably try harder at Leo-like activities. They might not come as easily to you or you might think you’re not good enough so you put more effort into it and get better at it.

Saturn trine Moon, my most satisfying aspect, nuff said ^

I just had that few days ago. Remember when I stressed out because I might fail my class? Well, that’s not the outcome ^
    I successfuly withdrawn from the class just in nick of time before it’ll affect my entire grade.

And…Im doing my 4 other classes just fine! When I had that aspect, I thought..pheww, what a relieve, what a sense of accomplishment!! :D

And for a Saturn square Sun person with Moon oppose MC like me,…nothing more satisfying than to be success on my own ground, it’s a real-permanent-feel good feeling ;)

What day did you withdraw from class? Was it December 13, 14 or 15?

• Joswan says:

Sorry the astrofix email notice was under my junk mail and got deleted. I have to figure it out when the last time I posted hmm..I remember one of them in Saturn aspect lol ^

Ok, I dont remember the date but it seems around 10th

Wait a min..when I click my profile name, it shows my latest activities! Gosh..web is sooo much forgiving ^^

Happy New year Mich!! 2012- The Gold Dragon whew… ;)

Happy New Year, Joswan :D

35. Mimi says:

My aspect is Moon square Saturn
     Mom as the authority figure. Mom was the disciplinarian. An authoritative woman. Denying feelings. Denying emotion. Cut off from emotion. Cut off from self-care. Denied nurturing. Denied happiness. Unable to feel happiness. . A hard childhood. Lack of emotional expression as a child. Lack of support during childhood. Denied support. Feeling responsible for mom. Taking responsibility for your mother. The child who takes care of the parent. Early maturity. Emotional father. THIS IS SO TRUE, ESPECIALY THIS: Learning how to be happy- the hard way.I really learned to be happy the hard way :)

Yes, it is actually work to be happy; happiness is something you have to work on.

• Outerplanets says:

I do work on it constantly, its tough, but i believe that we create our happiness and that is what it gets me going forward. Thanks for replying on my comments i appreciate it.

• Zoraida says:

Saturn isn’t always bad news. It actually helps you to work. without work you don’t get the rewards, or establish the strong foundations. Maybe Saturn gets so much bad press, we don’t see that balance. Jupiter is so overrated! You can have too much of a good thing, and become so over-confident, complacent and end up losing everything….

• Outerplanets says:

I agree, keeping the balance is very important. And I` m grateful in life, even though life knows how to strike me ,I manage to see things from higher perspective. I prefer seeing things that happen as another lesson learned …

36. Shabnam says:

Hi!

I’m new on this aspect thing and I’m wondering if you could help me? I have a moon in virgo (5th house) opposite my saturn in pisces (11th house). I know the are opposite signs aswell, what does this mean? I also have moon in trine with neptune which is in capricorn.

(if needed my sun is in leo, merc- leo, rising – cancer, venus – leo, mars- libra, jupiter – sag)

Just want some of your thoughts on this, thank you!

Hi Shabnam,

I don’t interpret individual aspects in comments. What that combination means for you is complicated and depends on the rest of your chart. It’s something better addressed through a reading. Soon my readings page will be back up.

Best wishes,
      Michelle

37. Merwyn Spencer says:

Hello Michelle, I’m Merwyn with sun in acquarius, moon in virgo , and a leo rising. I feel a strong attraction to astrology which I haven’t indulged in quite a while. I learned how to cast horoscope charts by hand while a teen ager, and had many books which I later let go. NOW in later life, I’m 58 now, I have an urgent feeling to re-acquaint myself to its study. I have an exact, 0degree orb quintile between my Moon and Saturn. Your list of bullet points about moon-saturn aspects has absolutely floored me. The issues with the mother, with emotions, with a hard child hood are all true with me. I learned how to repress my feelings and my confidence at an early age. However there is an incredible amount of repressed energy that is exploding out of me now. I am very estranged with Mom, she moved back to Europe because I basically refused to participate in her issues any more. OK I’m not sure how to stop so I’ll stop here, thanks for your posting.

Thank you for reading, Merwyn. Moon/Saturn is a tough one. Good luck with your renewed studies!

38. Wesley says:

I have the quintile aspect.

How do you experience it?

• Wesley says:

Well, there is the melancholy always, but it passes. I think my emotions are very structured but it lacks some spontaneity. I am serious and my emotions are always being constructed…. It is strange.

39. Harrit says:

I have Moon Cancer 2th house in conjunction Orb 6° 59′ Venus Cancer 2th house.
    With Moon Cancer 2th house trine Orb 1° 24′ Saturn Scorpio 6th house.

Really like the Moon/Saturn Aspects explanation.
    I am very much into Astrology.

Thanks, Harrit! Happy reading :)

40. alicia says:

Interesting, I fit the description……moon opp saturn here!

41. Wesley says:

I have a moon quintile Saturn. I would never know if I would not have made my chart print in astrodienst. I think I am going to discover some more aspects through the time passes…

Yes, you will. Sometimes I “rediscover” aspects after a while of looking them over.

1. Michelle -

#astrology Moon/Saturn Aspects: Brainstorm – Melancholy. Depressed emotions. Little emotion. A burdened mother. A re… http://ow.ly/17Pfte