Moon/Mercury Aspects

Rainbow pancakesThinking with your heart. Logical emotions. Emotional conversations. Compartmentalizing feelings. A retentive memory. Conversations with women. Sensitive communication. Emotional communication. Having reasons for feelings. Heartfelt letters. Putting feelings in words. Instinct to communicate. Chatterbox. Gossip. Leaving Post-it notes with “sweet nothings” written on them. Quick emotions. Feeling the need to be on the move. Feeling with the mind. Irrational mind. Being compelled to speak by unconscious forces. Being unable to speak if feeling threatened. Changing thoughts. Changing your mind a lot. Nourishing your intellect. Feeding your brain. Feeling nourished by reading. Feeling nourished by writing. Speaking habits. Being able to tell what people are thinking or feeling by the way they move.  Communicating your feelings through movement. Needing to find an appropriate communication channel for your emotions. Writing to get feelings off your chest. Getting feelings out on paper. Keeping a diary. Writing with feeling. Speaking with emotion. Heartfelt words. Emotionally charged language. Inability to separate feeling from thought. Stuck in thought patterns.  Habitual talking without reason. Needing to keep everyone updated on how you’re feeling. Emoticons. Quick defenses. Quick reactions. Quick emotions. Fleeting emotions. Fleeting moods. Fleeting thoughts.

Talking as a security blanket. Talking about comfortable topics. Everyday chit chat and how you feel about it. Feeling secure with your communication skills- or not. Finding security in logic. Making connections between feelings. Making connections with women. A communicative mother- or not. Superficial feelings. Needing mental stimulation to feel happy. Needing books, papers, journals and diaries to feel happy. Needing to communicate feelings. Needing to feel safe enough to communicate feelings. Scattered emotions. Scattered thoughts. Quick-change point of view. Emotional learning. Learning by feeling. Nurturing through education. Feeling nourished through relationships with siblings. Sharing feelings with siblings. Feeling safe to communicate with siblings. Clever habits. Sly inclinations. Deceptive communication. Mentally receptive. Communicating to people’s feelings rather than to their minds. Loving wit and cleverness. Emotional skills-whether you have them or not. Loving to make mental connections. Your emotional intelligence quotient. Your emotions impact your ability to communicate- for better or worse. Copying other people’s emotional states.

Naming feelings. Naming behaviors. Putting names to the past. Talking about the past. Talking about your mother. Early school experiences and the feelings they bring up. Emotional ties to siblings. Your mother’s relationship to your siblings. Restlessness. Changing body positions frequently. Fidgety. Quick metabolism. Changeable appetite. Eating habits that change with your mood. Eating on the go. Eat and run. Fast food. Eating little bits of food. Not wanting to be tied down emotionally. Needing space to breathe emotionally. Curious about emotions, moods and feelings. A way of sensing information. Unconsciously picking up on information- facts and data. Feeling emotionally tied to certain names. Having an emotional response upon hearing certain words. Words that evoke feelings. The need for information. The need to learn. Associating words with feelings. Synaethesia:

A neurologically-based condition in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway.* (Wikipedia)

*Side note: I imagine there’s more to synaethesia than Moon/Mercury, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it prevalent in the charts of people who experience it. Although, to make the jump between senses, Uranus would probably be involved too.

Tags: , , , , ,

65 Responses to “Moon/Mercury Aspects”

1. gracehoper says:

I have Moon in Virgo trine Mercury in Taurus (the two in various sorts of mutual reception) both trine my North Node conjunct the Descendant. Moon's also ruler of my chart and in the 3rd house. I experience the aspect as the constant need for information! I like to envision myself as a cell of the the internet, flashing every so often, part of a Universal Mind which has consciousness but which I don't understand myself.

the constant need for information

Yes! I nearly always have a book in my hand, or the TV on or something. I need to be learning something all the time. I need constant information saturation. I'm going to add that to the post :D

3. gracehoper says:

Yes, I always have the teevee set to some 24 hour news channel, and then a laptop or two on my bed where I recline, relaxed, connected to 3-8 tabs of information. It's really a bit much. But if I could have it all installed into my brain I'd jump at the chance! lol

Lol..I was just going to add that I'm clearly on the computer a lot. I read (or scan) tons of blogs every day. I subscribe to a couple hundred blogs- nevermind everyone I follow on tumblr :)

5. gracehoper says:

Also, I'm a meditator, and I prefer visualizing meditations where I construct all kinds of various things going on in my sensory field which are imbued with meaning, like the golden breath moving through my body and the golden egg aura surrounding me and so on, I get really into it with semi-permanent runes in various rooms of the house sometimes. I think that's the Grand Trine with the influence of the square to Neptune and the opposition to Mars in Pisces.

That definitely sounds like a Piscean/ Neptune influence rather than straight Mercury/Moon.

• Ile says:

Sorry for getting into your discussion with gracehooper.
      You’ve made some very good points.I also have Mercury Square Moon (6th-4th between Cap and Libra).Plus I have pretty tamed Mercury with fixed stars on the arrow of the archer.
      I found out that I have this intensive need to Read, or to collect information. I search for a free pdf’s on internet and even though many of them I don’t need it (because they are about a subject of which I’m not particularly interested at the  moment), I still collect them and save them on my pc. I also collect music and I continually have a need for a new HD.
      My Mercury is a focal point of my T-square between Moon on Ic, MC and Mercury in 6th.
      Maybe the thing that Mercury is a ruler of my N.N in Gemini is adding to that need of information collecting.
      I also have a constant reassurement of what I’ve said. After a few hours I will draw the picture in my mind of writing this replay and I’ll constantly ask my self if I said it right. This is many times troubling because I constantly must to reassure my self about all that I’ve ever said or wrote.
      So, my expression through words is somehow mixed with my self-image (Moon on IC in Libra) and how other people are perceiving me or my expression. In my childhood years this was much more strong because my happiness and well being were depending of how people perceived me or my expression. This is I suppose related to the Sun in 7th, but I think that Mercury (with the T-Square and especially Moon) plays its role also.

Is your Mercury also in aspect to Pluto?

7. firetiger13 says:

i have gemini moon and im just gunna say i haaaatttteeee moon-mercury… i actively work against myself thinking.. it's a pain.. really .. i think there's way too much information.. yet, i love reading, i love ideas (not info, ideas) and exchanging.. yet.. i mostly find moon's association w/ mercury unfavorable (all thru my experience)

Is your Moon in the 9th?

Is your Moon in the 9th?

10. firetiger13 says:

nope………… i have saturn and uranus in sag tho :-/

~ i really don't know why but i do hate too much information.. i find it counterproductive

Hm…I wonder.

12. firetiger13 says:

ok i did some soul searching haha and i also recognized that i do have a close moon jupiter (pisces) square.. also gemini moon > mercury in scorpio.. i'd rather rely on basic instinct than muddling my head with facts that contradict my FEELING…

Ah…Gemini Moon and Mercury in Scorpio- I think that's it. Scorpio is not into trivial information- they think it's a waste of time. Gemini thinks information is fun, Scorpio does not.

14. wg. says:

Holy moly Michelle, that's really quite accurate. o.0 Moon opposite Mercury here.

And my mom likes to remember how once when I was younger..say around maybe 10 or so (give or take a couple of years) I answered the phone while she was out. I took a message for her, but of course forgot to write it down, or who called. Needless to say she was annoyed when she got home and I told her that a guy called, but couldn't tell her his name or anything. Grasping at straws, I told her that he had a brown voice. She said, oh, was it so-and-so? And it was, lol. I haven't done it since, but I think that's an example of synaethesia?

I think that's definitely an example of synaethesia. You could probably work on developing it if you wanted to. I don't what purpose it would serve, but it would be entertaining :)

16. wg. says:

Hey yeah, I could really be a great side show then! lol

17. firetiger13 says:

haha! that's right… i dont find it fun at all.. in fact i find it rather trifiling

18. Fx Guy says:

Mercury with Moon/Pluto with Neptune in a YOD here!
    Complexities galore with another YOD too
    For reference, just in case, http://i45.tinypic.com/23llcfl.gif
    Regards

How do you think that yod works?

20. Pisceseyes9 says:

story of my life.
    although i am not always a chatterbox, i spend a lot of time in my head!

moon(2nd. gemini) square mercury(11th. pisces (retro))

Do you think your feelings, rather than feeling your feelings?

21. Mkatsuno says:

Hello.
    Your side note sounds very accurate to me.
    I have a moon in Libra square Mercury and Uranus in Capricorn by 2 degrees.
    My moon also squares my Jupiter and Chiron in Cancer, being the focus point of a t-square.
    I have all the symptoms that you have mentioned above.
    Absolutely amazing!
    Today at school (notice how I mention school, as it is very important for me to feel nurtured), I was watching the other kids in class and couldn’t help but notice how people really seem to FEEL their emotions.
    In general, I don’t really feel like I have emotions. When things happen to me, I hide in books and think my way through them. Then I feel great!
    I feel very strange when people try to share their emotions with me as though I knew what it might feel like. I don’t.

I have all the symptoms that you have mentioned above.
      Absolutely amazing!

That is amazing.

I think that Moon/Uranus can make a person feel estranged from their own emotions- almost as if you are experiencing them as an outsider looking in- what do you think?

22. Joyrjw says:

Hmm, I thought I had posted here,but I guess not. . :-)

I have Moon in Virgo 8’36 3rd house conjunct IC Square Mercury Scorpio 28’57 5th/6th house.

I don’t know if I experience synaethesia or not. It sounds familiar though, the “idea” behind it.

Feeling with your mind.
    Thinking with your heart. Logical emotions. Emotional conversations. Compartmentalizing feelings. A retentive memory. Conversations with women. Sensitive communication. Emotional communication. Having reasons for feelings. Heartfelt letters. Putting feelings in words. Leaving Post-it notes with “sweet nothings” written on them. Quick emotions. Feeling the need to be on the move. Feeling with the mind. Irrational mind. Subconscious thoughts. Being compelled to speak by unconscious forces. Being unable to speak if feeling threatened. Changing thoughts. Changing your mind a lot. Nourishing your intellect. Feeding your brain. Feeling nourished by reading. Feeling nourished by writing. Speaking habits. Being able to tell what people are thinking or feeling by the way they move. Communicating your feelings through movement. Needing to find an appropriate communication channel for your emotions. Writing to get feelings off your chest. Getting feelings out on paper. Keeping a diary. Writing with feeling. Speaking with emotion. Heartfelt words. Emotionally charged language. Inability to separate feeling from thought. Stuck in thought patterns. Emoticons. Quick defenses. Quick reactions. Quick emotions. Fleeting emotions. Fleeting moods. Fleeting thoughts. Making connections between feelings. Making connections with women. A communicative mother- or not. Needing to feel safe enough to communicate feelings. Irrational thoughts. Irrational writing. Irrational speech. Scattered emotions. Scattered thoughts. Quick-change point of view. Emotional learning. Mentally receptive. Communicating to people’s feelings rather than to their minds. Your emotional intelligence quotient. Your emotions impact your ability to communicate- for better or worse. Copying other people’s emotional states. Naming feelings. Naming behaviors. Putting names to the past. Talking about the past. Talking about your mother. Early school experiences and the feelings they bring up. Restlessness. Changing body positions frequently. Fidgety. Changeable appetite. Eating habits that change with your mood. Eating on the go. Eat and run. Fast food. Eating little bits of food. Curious about emotions, moods and feelings. A way of sensing information. Unconsciously picking up on information- facts and data. Feeling emotionally tied to certain names. Having an emotional response upon hearing certain words. Words that evoke feelings. The need for information. The need to learn. Associating words with feelings.

That’s a very wide square. I don’t know how strongly I would consider it , except that Mercury is your chart ruler. What orb do you use for squares?

• Joyrjw says:

I use 10 degrees.
        I know it’s a very wide orb, the widest I’ve heard is possible from what I’ve read,
        but the description seems to fit me.

I could really relate to the “feeling with my mind “part.

The original aspect for it is a BiNovile 80’21 Applying

but since nobody really posts anything on BiNoviles I thought that I’d try the
        next best thing to get some type of interpretation.

Do you know of any free resources for interpreting such unique aspects?
        Or do you have any much appreciated suggestions?

I wonder if it is more having the Moon in the 3rd or Mercury in the 4th that blends your thinking/feeling rather than the Moon/Mercury aspect.

I don’t know of anything that gives a defintion for the binovile.

You’ve probably done this, but if you Google binovile a few results come up, here’s one: http://astrologynotes.org/wiki/Binovile

Thank you very much for the information and the assistance:-)
            You had much better luck than I did searching for it.

It could be Moon in 3rd resulting in the “feeling with the mind “as well as other parts of your
            description above. I hadn’t considered that. Thank you for the new perspective:-)

I only associated it with being mentally dreamy and maybe a romantic,but not the latter,….
            placements do express themselves differently in everyone’s charts, from what I’ve heard.

So the binovile would be something like the spiritual form of a very weak trine I guess.
            Hmmm, interesting.

23. Cintia says:

That’s true! I was wondering why I have this strange need to talk about emotions all the time. Talking without “connecting” and “feeling” the person is very diffictult to me. Ah, and I can’t leave home without a book in my purse. I have a Moon-Mercury conjunction in Pisces, 8th house…

That’s a very sensitive placement. Not only do you need to talk about emotions, but you need to talk about them beyond a superficial level – but they’re elusive.

24. DF says:

I totally related to this. My closest aspect is moon quinqunx mercury, and it’s like my emotions and logic have nothing to do with each other sometimes.

Which signs and houses are they in?

25. Le Feu Follet says:

Amazingly realistic, Michelle. How did I miss this post? lol

It’s one of very few soft aspects my Moon makes. My Aquarius Moon semi-sextile Pisces Mercury and Capricorn Uranus, thus conjunct the Mercury-Uranus midpoint. I do have a knack for feeling sounds. With my Mercury in Pisces, this is strong. I was a fairly good musician because of this, but this happens not only with music, but with people’s voices too. I can easily tell much information about someone just by hearing the person’s voice. Synesthesia comes naturally to some people when they are really into music. I experience it only when I’m very concentrated in whatever I’m hearing: I see and feel the texture of the sounds. An orchestra playing a piece has many tones of a same colour. The piece itself has a different colour in each orchestra/interpretation, that’s what made the job of the maestro so appealing to me; he knows this and changes these colours and textures at will.

And yes, as you commented with gracehoper, I have a constant need for information. All. The. Time. Really.

Mercury/Moon=Information junkes :P

Although, Mercury/Pluto is probably like that too.

26. Mert says:

i have moon in pisces 1st and mercury in sagittarius 10th with square aspect..
    My emotional subconscious of my brain is like a chaos and catathosrophing because of three square aspect of the moon to venus,mars and mercury… at least i have moon trine pluton whch gives me really emotional strenght…
    this T-Square will not bring a mental problem i guess :S

It seems like mental and emotional balance is something to work on.

27. Mirrorofamirror100 says:

Moon in 2nd house (Aquarius) squares my Mercury in 10th house (Libra)
    I do wonder if this is what lies behind my obsession with collecting information, books, newspapers and magazines.
    When I was a teenager I was reading magazines and papers and then tearing the bits on social, political and economical subjects, then filing them in folders with appropriate labels on.
    Funny enough, it does not mean I read these mountains of information but I wanted to HAVE it.
    Now, 15 years later, I still feel the urge to collect all information in a subject that bothers me and still, this is more about collecting rather than absorbing.
    Besides, I am very aware of my emotions, feelings, their cause, solutions and timing to get over my emotions. I always know what I feel and why I feel so.
    My approach to (mine or someone else’s) feelings is practically scientific: I analyse what I see or hear and detach myself in the process. it does not, of course, mean I feel less, it just means I separate ‘feeling’ from ‘understanding’.
    Neither it means I am not empathetic: I know how someone feels, I can be very sorry or happy for them, but I always look for the reasons (on psychological, social or situational level) and usually volunteer to explain it aloud.
    In general I find the quality useful for people around me: even if i get highly emotional I know what I need to help myself and am happy to communicate it to people – either to tell them what’s the problem (and so they do not feel awkward) or to ask for specific help.

Just a question, but if you were to look at your chart using the whole signs house system does your Aquarian Moon move into the 3rd house?

• Mirrorofamirror100 says:

yes it does, bizarrely, but at the same time everything I’ve got in the 10th house moves to 11th house and Mercury lands in 12th house.
        what does that mean?

It was a hunch that this is more about the information than the collecting, which is a difference between a 2nd house Moon and a 3rd house Moon.

• Mirrorofamirror100 says:

I’ve got Mercury in Scorpio, not Libra, how could I forget….?

28. ss88 says:

really good list for this aspect i found
    theres a few things that dont apply to me at all though like the not actually feeling your emotions and thinking through them till theyre gone… nope! not me anyway
    thanks for posting this :)

Hi ss88,

Which sign and house are your Mercury and Moon in?

Hi ss88,

Which sign and house are your Mercury and Moon in?

It’s funny – I don’t have any of the Moon-Mercury aspects, but my Moon and Mercury are in mutual reception by house (Mercury in Aquarius in the 4th and Moon in Aries in the 6th) – and there is a distinct parallel, so I recognized myself in many of the descriptions posted above! :o)

I’m just as mental as I am emotional, and I tend to logically analyze feelings, and to put a lot of emotion into the most logical subjects! Most of the time, I’m unable to separate between the logical and the irrational, though the irrational seems to prevail in my attitude to life…

I feel nourished by reading, writing and learning, and I love to be surrounded by books, magazines and other items providing me with knowledge and information. I would like to have a big library in my home!

I value wit and cleverness, and I need a lot of mental stimulation to feel happy, as it also increases my emotional responses! I have a good memory – maybe because in my mind, all the “cold” facts are so tightly connected with unforgettable emotions and colourful associations!

I used to keep a diary for many years in which I was writing about my feelings, and I like to dwell on the past and to talk about it with my next ones!

I love to write long, heartfelt letters to my beloved people, and I really like leaving those Post-it notes with sweet nothings written on them – my Mom has a trine between Moon and Mercury, so we love exchanging such notes when I’m at home! :)

I tend to use lots of different emoticons when I’m writing, be it in the Internet or in the “real” letters – sometimes I even find this habit annoying, so I try to reduce the amount of smileys in my posts!

When I feel threatened and insecure, I prefer not to talk at all… I talk about my emotions only with a few very close and trusted people.

I also think that I can read other people’s body language and understand their moods by looking at their gestures, body position and facial expression, and I unintentionally copy them – though I would rather suppose it happens because of my planets in Pisces and some aspects including Neptune…

I can’t eat without having a partner for a good conversation sitting with me at the table!
    Feeding my body doesn’t function well without simultaneuosly feeding my brain – so I like to eat and to read or to watch some news at the same time! =)

I also have a very quick metabolism – so while I have a very good appetite (Moon trine Jupiter) and eat everything I want, I still remain slim without any effort (so long)!
    But my appetite depends on my mood, so I tend to lose it when I’m upset and frustrated, and to get psychosomatic illnesses because of my emotional states…

Even if I tend to be fixed and stubborn considering many of my opinions and thoughts (Mercury in a fixed sign, square to Saturn and Pluto), I’m rather scattered-minded when I think about some other things, and can change my attitude to a subject quickly – and several times!

When I talk to people I rather tend to appeal to their feelings than to their minds, but when they get too emotional, I try to convince them with logic.

I’m VERY restless, fidgety and high strung, with a lot of nervous energy – so I constantly change my body position, bounce my legs, tap my fingers and do many other weird things that annoy other people! :o)

The last but the most interesting thing – I believe I do experience synaesthesia!
    From an early age, certain words and single letters have been associated with certain colours, temperature, sounds or scents for me. It goes the same way with music – it can be perceived as warm or cold, or having some special colour nuances or sensual touch, and the paintings evoke musical sounds in my mind and soul…

However, I can’t fully relate to this phenomenon as a mere Moon-Mercury influence, I would rather think it’s something Neptunian…

I also can’t fully relate to this phenomenon as a mere Moon-Mercury influence, I would rather think it’s something Neptunian
      It’s probably a combination of things. Neptune’s involvement seems likely. Thank you for sharing :)

P.S. Just one additional thought about this aspect (or, in my case, mutual reception between Moon and Mercury) – emotional connection with animals and the natural ability to communicate with them!

Your emotional connection to animals could also be because of the Moon in the 6th house. The 6th house signifies small animals while the 12th signifies large animals.

31. Susan Steffen says:

I have an extreme case of it-Mars 6,32 Scorpio, Moon 6.58, Mercury 8,01, Neptune 10,12. Oh, in third, too. With Uranus in Leo 29,10 above my 2,14 Virgo rising.Genius IQ, Can infer things from platter and suss out liars immediately. Psychic; know when people will call, dream of deaths in family, hear,”Don’t shoot” in my ear before I innocently walk into a house where someone has a gun and wants to shoot me. Love to ‘do the rounds’ chatting people up, love my 5 sisters even when they are cruel to me, love isolation to process things. Need to read, process words. Unable to speak if threatened- unable to defend myself when accused, my mind runs as to why they would do that to me.

Thank you for sharing your experience Susan. Scorpio in the 3rd can mean “deep listening.”

32. AriesGirl says:

Great list!
    “I need to be learning something all the time”

Yep, its me too, Moon opposite Mercury. I’ve just realized not a long ago that i have an absolutely hyperactive mind, i always want to surrounder myself with information, books, etc… and I LOVE my laptop, lol. The synaethesia is interesting too, i usually connect feelings with colours or music or quotes or pictures (Mercury in Pisces), but i also like to write down my feelings, it always helps a LOT.

Writing down feelings helps me a lot too. It’s like a mind purge.

• sam girl says:

I have my taurus moon trine capricorn mercury to almost the minute.  I love to talk about feelings, Writing feelings helps me purge.  I feel better when I am moving. I have a fast metabolism.  I have to talk about feelings with my mate and writing heartfelt letters for me is very easy.  I barely need to edit them once I am done.  Spot on Michelle!

I’m glad you liked the description. Thank you for reading, sam girl :)

I pretty much relate to all these descriptions, except for maybe “Gossip” (only with my husband) and “Irrational mind” – I’m so *very* rational, although not always in a left-brain kind of way, if that makes sense.

My Mercury in Scorpio (right on the cusp of the 3rd) forms an exact square to my 5th house Moon in Aquarius.  Both my Mercury and Moon from aspects to natal Pluto (in Virgo) in the 12th, and both are conjunct a bunch of other stuff – which complicates the interpretation a bit.

The two descriptions that I’ve been thinking about a lot lately are:  “Being compelled to speak by unconscious forces” (with Mercury conjunct Neptune and Jupiter, could this be like channeling?) and “Being unable to speak if feeling threatened.”

When it comes to my emotional responses in situations where there’s a real (or perceived) threat, I seem to go to extremes.  I *always* know what it is I’m feeling (and thinking), and my emotions (and thoughts/opinions) run very deep and are very strong.  But . . . I rarely feel justified in acting on them or giving them an emotional voice.  Instead, I do much better when I have time to process before responding.  I don’t like to speak when I’m feeling angry or on the defensive.  Or often, my initial responses tend to undervalue my own feelings and needs (again having to do with Neptune), especially if I’ve been led to believe my hurt feelings have caused someone else emotional pain – old habits are hard to break.

It helps to take a step back and ask myself if I’m expecting too much or if I’m being unreasonable.  Generally the answer is no, but I still like to check.  I’ve also learned that if I have to ask for something, I’m probably not going to get it.  I can be very sensitive to underlying and unspoken expectations and energies, or to the suggestion that I must somehow justify even my most reasonable needs.

I’m also a *huge* information junkie.  I’ve learned over the years to mistrust the usual sources and instead do my own in-depth research before making important decisions or reaching conclusions.  What nourishes my mind also nourishes my soul.

Adding – my natal 4th house Saturn in Sagittarius sits at the exact midpoint of my exact Mercury/Moon square.

34. AB says:

So, basically…a teen soap character.

Mm…not exclusively.

35. Mumbaikar says:

Hi. Nice post. I have Moon and Mercury in 7th house in Pisces. What do you say? Thanks.

Who do you have the most confrontations with?

36. Wesley says:

I have a moon semisextile Mercury and a Moon in Pisces in the eighth house. And I always felt nourished by all things that join the mind and the emotions. I can say that I am a rational sentimentalist. But I think I will feel very little this aspect because it is just a minor aspect.

Just having the Moon and Mercury in Pisces in the 8th encourages these feelings, nevermind having them in aspect!

1. Tweets that mention Moon/Mercury Aspects: Brainstorm -- Topsy.com -

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Michelle. Michelle said: #astrology Moon/Mercury Aspects: Brainstorm – Feeling with your mind. Thinking with your heart. Logical emotions. Em… http://ow.ly/17WPlO [...]