The Ascendant Ruler

The Sun, Ascendant and Ascendant ruler

The Sun is the heart of the chart. The Sun, by sign, house and aspect, shows who you are at the very center of your being. No matter how diluted Sun sign astrology gets, the Sun is still your core.

The ascendant is the outer persona, mask, framework, behavior, mannerisms, appearance, or vehicle that enables the Sun to navigate through life.
t-shirt with map Have you ever felt that you can’t just “be yourself?” That’s because you usually can’t. Being able to express your Sun in a pure, concentrated, form is not only nearly impossible, it’s not even a good idea. If you expressed the raw edge of your Sun all the time it would be like walking around every day completely naked and in your bare feet. At first it would be liberating. You would feel free and alive, exalting in the sunshine. Later, after the cat calls, harassment, blisters, sunburn and embarrassment (or worse) you’d be begging to put your clothes back on. You really don’t want that much continuous exposure.

The ascendant ruler, or chart ruler, sets a course for the birth chart. You have a driver (the Sun), you have a vehicle (the ascendant)… now where are you going? The ascendant ruler shows you where you’re going through its house placement.

The ascendant and its ruler are preoccupied with where you’re going and how you are going to get there- right now, in this lifetime.
close up map

image copyright Laura Taylor

The ascendant and ascendant ruler are interested in the particulars of this one lifetime. Having been cast for a particular hour of birth, the ascendant and its ruler are fleeting and earth bound. They have immediacy and they have a destination in the present. This is different from the North Node which gives you a destination that extends out into the far, unforeseeable, future. The ascendant and ascendant ruler turn their attention to immediate circumstances.

If your chart ruler is in the same house as your Sun, then your direction in life is a better match to your central self.

• The ascendant sign shows the way that you navigate through life.
  • The ascendant ruler shows where your attention is directed.
  • The Sun shows who you really are inside.

Risings Signs and Chart Rulers

• If your rising sign is Aries then your chart ruler is Mars
  • If your rising sign is Taurus or Libra then your chart ruler is Venus
  • If your rising sign is Cancer then your chart ruler is the Moon
  • If your rising sign is Leo then your chart ruler is the Sun
  • If your rising sign is Gemini or Virgo then your chart ruler is Mercury
  • If your rising sign is Sagittarius then your chart ruler is Jupiter
  • If your rising sign is Capricorn then your chart ruler is Saturn

The signs Scorpio, Aquarius and Pisces have two rulers: the modern ruler of the sign and the traditional ruler of the sign.
Some astrologers only look at the traditional ruler, some only look at the modern ruler, and some look at both. You will have to use your own judgment to determine which method works best for you.

• If your rising sign is Scorpio then your chart rulers are Mars and Pluto
  • If your rising sign is Aquarius then your chart rulers are Saturn and Uranus
  • If your rising sign is Pisces then your chart rulers are Jupiter and Neptune

66 Responses to “The Ascendant Ruler”

1. gracehoper says:

I think it's important to make a distinction between the Ascendant Ruler and the Chart Ruler. The Lord of my Cancer Ascendant is the Moon in Virgo in the 3rd House. The Lord of my Geniture (or Chart Ruler) is Jupiter in Aquarius in the 8th House, however, because it is the planet which has the most dignity by terms, bounds, triplicity, exaltation, and/or domicile in the degree of the five hylegiacal places (Sun, Moon, Asc, Syzygy, Fortuna).

The ancients would use house rulers and house almutens interchangeably, as if they were of equal importance. I'm conjecturing that one's Ascendant Ruler is more of a practical, easy to fall into thing (predestination) while the Chart Ruler/Almuten Figuris or House Almutens are more aspirational, hard work, no guarantee thing (free will). But this is just something I've been thinking about.

I use ascendant ruler and chart ruler interchangeably. If I were talking about the Lord of the Geniture, I would only use that term, I wouldn't call it the chart ruler. I think most people, when they are thinking about the “chart ruler,” they are thinking about the planet that rules the ascendant.

4. bigOsilver says:

I've been puzzling over my chart for months – Pisces ASC/Moon/S. Node, Sag sun conjunct Neptune at the MC, Jupiter the ruler of both in Leo in the 6th (possibly the 5th) in mutual reception to the Sun in Sag in the 9th. I have Saturn conjunct the DC square my sun too. I continue to meditate on just who the hell I am. I am one lost puppy. Too much Neptune? Too much dependence on the chances of good fortune and not enough action? I'm also trying to learn about the “Lord of the Geniture.” Any suggestions for helpful sources?

5. HeathenMom says:

Sun Scorpio, Moon Gemini, Asc Gemini. i'm the talkiest introvert on earth. and i accidentaly talk about things that tend to unnerve folks.

6. Nnair1021 says:

i think this is a little bit true
    depends on a couple factors tho……
    in my case: my sun is not heavily aspected.. i think it is the least aspected body in my chart actually along w/ neptune
    i also feel like the sun is more of a representation of the ego, not really someone's 'core'
    with that said i feel it is our mission as humans to shed the ego and merge w/ each other

here's a quick question for u: why do u think in eastern astrology the sun is *not* considered the most important body?

i agree w/ u on ur descriptions of the ascendant… it is a point in the chart… it is ur 'point of view' if u will and it's important to see where that chart ruler is

hm i have a hard time w/ the sun tho :-S libra sun in the 12th house.. ya i would haha

• Corina says:

Very interesting! You are clearly referring to a desire to “ascend,” “attain nirvana,” “Unity consciousness,” etc. (all various names for the same concept, IMHO). I too, have recently started upon a path to higher consciousness and shedding my ego-mind, and I have the same: Sun Libra in 12th House placement you mentioned. Also Scorpio rising, with Pluto in 11th, Mars in 8th. It makes sense to me that the Libra ideals of balance & harmony, ruled by the planet of love & compassion, when placed in the 12th house of transformation and the ending of cycles, would view Unity/Love as their core. So, perhaps this Sun/House placement is exactly what makes us see that our true core is not ego-based? I believe that Scorpio rising has a lot to do with it, too.

7. EdTwist says:

Hmm that certainly makes sense. Although how would you view someone with both Sun and Ascendant in the same sign? (Leo, Asc and Leo Sun here)

8. jjasonham says:

Hi Michelle! I've been out of commission for a while. I'm trying to catch up on my Google Reader articles so I'll start with the most recent for now (it can be overwhelming sometimes, and I try to resist just deleting them!).

Leo Asc. sextile Sun (which also rules 2nd and is exactly conjunct MC ruler Mars) in 11th Gemini with N. Node.

I think this interaction causes a harmonious flow into the 11th house. To quickly summarize:
    I think a lot about true, genuine self expression in my career (Mars), and how I'm constantly positioning myself for beyond (NN).

That's funny. People think Scorpios are always quiet, but that's not always true.

Neptune on an angle really can make you feel lost. With Neptune on the ascendant you probably really can't see yourself clearly. With so much Sag/Pisces/Jupter/Neptune emphasis, it may not actually be important for you to come to have distinct definition of who you are. However, with Saturn at the DC in Virgo you might attract a people who make you feel like you should, or you may even be envious of people who have a clear sense of themselves.

I really do think the Sun is the core. I do not feel it is my mission to merge with people in a way that I totally lose my independent sense of self. You might feel that you are supposed to lose your ego and merge because your Sun is in the 12th house. I don't mind shedding the worn out aspects of myself, or the parts that keep me from having deeper relationships with people, but I don't think it would be healthy for me to allow myself to completely lose my ego identity. Sometimes I already have problems with ego-loss and blurring my boundaries too much- my Sun trines Neptune.

I don't know enough about eastern astrology to give an opinion about why the Sun is not the most important.

• Pjgecmendes says:

well the sun is what makes you proud.If its in house 9 you pride yourself on your travels,studies etc

Sun in the 9th also finds its identity through its ideals.

Thank you for reading, Pjgecmendes.

With the Sun and Ascendant (and therefore the chart ruler) all in the same sign, I'd think you would really have trouble separating these parts of yourself- the core self, the vehicle and your direction. In some ways this is great because who you are, where you're going and how you get there are all in sync. Problems might occur because you have little room to back up and gain perspective over your situation. Outer planet aspects to your Sun and ascendant will help you widen your viewpoint.

The 11th house is also a long range house. Planets in the 11th seem to encourage dreaming about the future and finding ways to fulfill your wishes and long term plans.

this is interesting. i am cancer. my asc is aries. then my aries in is libra. not sure about its house. but i have this inner desire to get married, travel the world with my partner. not sure if it has something to do with it.

It's hard to say from those placements. Where is the ruler of your 7th house placed?

Oops, I made a mistake. What i mean is I am a cancer, my asc sign is aries then my mars is in libra. the house is 7th.

That certainly sets you in the direction of relationships. Where is your Venus (ruler of the 7th house)?

ah…. that's why… my venus is in gemini, what does it mean when my venus is in gemini? also, i am just curious…. since i have 3 planets (late degrees) in libra- mars, saturn and pluto- but jupiter in 0 degrees scorpio conjunct pluto. does it also adds up to the relationship area? what is the effect of 0 degrees jupiter in scorpio. imagine 4 planets stellium in that area. this has been a curiousity for me for sometime now esp i am still a beginner in astrology.

20. bigOsilver says:

With Saturn on the DC (in discriminating Virgo), I relate to people who are efficient, smart, organized, grounded and people like my husband, who with Mars in Capricorn on the ASC and a Virgo moon, often seem like a stick-in-the-mud. Strangely, he also has a stellium of Sag planets but in the 12th. Obviously, a Jupiter/Neptune person needs Saturnian types, but with the square to my natal sun and mercury, it feels damning – like there's something wrong with me – like I should be an efficient, hard-working, money-earning machine or at least have the house spotless and be a gourmet cook. But of course such things become a bore very quickly. But what to do with a 6th house Jupiter besides cook, clean and walk the dogs? I looked at the table of dignities and Jupiter is in Leo's triplicity, but in the 6th; the sun in Sag's triplicity but in the 9th. I guess Jupiter is Lord of the Geniture and of the chart.

I can't ignore Jupiter's square to Chiron in Taurus in the 2nd, Venus in Scorpio in the 8th and opposed my sun/moon midpoint in Aquarius 11th. An almost exact fixed cross.

Reading your blog in the morning with my coffee and cigarettes (damned Neptune), has become a ritual. I hope with your knowledge and that of your readers, I may come to grasp enough to go forward (and maybe even put down the cigarettes. :D

This is getting to be a little more complicated than I can answer in a blog comment. Very basic interpretation- your need to be in a relationship is very strong.

22. Zodiacal_macaw_1210 says:

My Ascendant is in 26° Sagittarius ~ Descendant in 26° Gemini. Jupiter is in 13° Virgo in the 9th House while Mercury is in 13° Sagittarius in the 12th House. They form one of the tightest squares in my entire birth chart. Mercury / Jupiter square are prone to assumptions, exaggerating, being impractical, being indecisive and not a very good planner. Is there anything I’m missing. What does it mean when a 12th House Mercury squares a 9th House Jupiter? Spirituality versus religion?

It’s too hard to say what it means without seeing your entire chart, and it’s a bit more than I can delineate in a blog comment. Spirituality versus religion is a good start. There would also be issues with having opinions and letting go of strong viewpoints.

• Zodiacal_macaw_1210 says:

Hmmmm very interesting perspective. I’m going to look more into it.

23. Shadow says:

Pretty much to me, the ascendant is what decides if you and another person will get along on an average basis.
    Like one of my good friends is all “compatible”.. his chart and mine…. but because of his Ascendant Taurus and my Ascendant Gemini we just don’t really get along.
    But to him we do.
    I’ll be like.. saying something, well i’ll be implying something, where as a more firey,airy ascendant would jump in with there thoughts on the subject and agree, disagree, help me out here… Where he’ll just wait for me to finnish. Which is fine. But he’s just, quiet….

The sun isn’t very important in my eyes. Ruler of ascendant, which i don’t really understand is either.
    Because when I’m with an air ascendant we’re reading to talk a lot, debate about random subjects and laugh boundlessly going on adventures. Talking non–stop about anything that comes to mind. Where as an earth or water ascendant would chose what they present to the world and wouldnt just blurt out random things that come to mind. They usually have a slower more introverted, less talkative apporach…

The way I see it, is that we’re all a different color barbie dolls. (RASCIST!) lol jk. I’m trying to give you an example here.
    Okay so we have a weird shaped ball. Each zodiac sun sign has its own color of person.
    Then the moon is the barbies personality in the little barbie doll game.
    The mercury signs choose the dress, and asscesories
    The venus sign chooses the color of the dress.
    The ascendant shows what the barbie is doing. Taurus ascendant barbie doll is holding a bowl of soup, sagittarius holding a map, ect, ect,
    mars pluto jupiter saturn ect, ect…

Pretty much to me the sun isnt very important. Unless there a Sagittarius and your a pisces. And everything in your chart is compatible except that one thing.
    Except the honest remarks….

the dress does make you look fat. Except it! lol.

Different perspective. I like the idea that the ascendant shows what you’re doing. The book Planets in Play actually uses clothing and accessories to describe the each planet’s sign expression (rather than the planet’s function). I do think that the Sun is the core of the chart. Unfortunately, because Sun sign astrology gets to watered down, a lot of people simply dismiss the Sun. Poor Sun :(

Thank you for reading Shadow.

24. Joyrjw says:

My ascendant is in Gemini 29’05
    In Equal/Koch Mercury is in Scorpio 28’57 5th/6th cusp
    It moves in other house systems.

I wonder, since my ascendant is at 29’05 degrees Gemini, would the moon be a strong secondary influence on my chart?
    It’s also conjunct my IC. I have a Scorpio stellium (3 or 4 planets depending on how you percieve a stellium) I’ve been told that the stellium would overpower my Ascendant ruler,but my ascendant ruler is part of the stellium.

Thank you for this very interesting article :-)

The Moon would have a pronounced influence on your chart if it is conjunct the IC. Any planet that conjuncts an angle takes on added importance. The Moon’s importance would not be because of your late ascending degree- unless you question your birth time and think you may have Cancer rising.

In my view the ascendant ruler has the specific function of directing the chart to certain goals. Those goals could clash with a stellium, but they’re still there.

• Joyrjw says:

Thank you very much Michelle. :D

Ok, So, Mercury is the chart ruler with my Moon conjunct IC and, I didn’t mention this one cause it wasn’t needed at the time, OOB’s Venus conjunct Descendant coming in a close second. Then Mercury would have to compete with the direction the stellium was taking too.

Wow, that’s alot. lol!

25. Kevin says:

ther’s a typo at the end of this post about signs with 2 rulers.  you put capricorn as the rising sign instead of aquarius having uranus and saturn as rulers

Thank you, Kevin – will fix.

26. Micheline says:

Hi, wonderful post.  I was looking for information on black moon lilith and a conjunction to my natal mercury.  I ended re-discovering your site again.  I started reading this post.  I have my ac in leo at 23 degrees (which means that I have it in the decan of Sagitarius), and my natal sag sun which is at 15 d sag is in the later part of my 4th house and almost conjunct my fifth house cusp.   Should we not take the decans into consideration as well when interpreting our own charts?  Hmm My Sag sun is in the Aries decantes.

I don’t use the decans as much as the critical degrees. Decans can come in handy with progressed charts because the planets move so slowly. Of course, if you keep track of the decans and pay attention to transits to them and the outcome (for example) you may begin to notice patterns of influence. I haven’t done that so much yet.

27. Pjgecmendes says:

Do you know famous people with ASC ruler conjunct Saturn?
    Since Saturn`s house shows an area you should avoid if you want yoiur life to be easier,unless you want success only around age 60,i wonder how someone whose ASC energy is directed to H9,like me, but at the same time Saturn is there annoying him?
    Saturn is also my Sun ruler

Where did you learn that you should avoid the affairs of the house Saturn is in?

• Pjgecmendes says:

It`s logical.People seek the easy way, the area where Jupiter or Venus are.Saturn delays its affairs.But im a cappy

Saturn can delay things, but avoiding Saturn is setting yourself up for some intense “reality checks” during Saturn transits.

28. Suddha0000 says:

HI I’M GIVING MY BIRTH CHART AS A IMAGE PLEASE EXPRESS MY ASCENDANT WITH BRIEF ASTRO READING THANK YOU

Hi Suddha 0000,

I don’t give free chart readings. If you’re interested in an astrology reading please visit the readings page: http://astrofix.net/astrology-readings/

29. Micheline says:

My ac is at 23 d leo.  I have my sun within five degree of my fifth house.  I know that your supposed to use the next house if it is that close.  But maybe it is both?  I am a sag at 15 d 02 minutes my 5th house is at 20 d sag.  So, leo ac with leo decan aries… I have sag sun with aries decan, fifth house is ruled by jupiter,.  My jupiter is in taurus at 18 d in and conjunct the mc.   My sun and jupiter inconjunct each other i think.  Taurus is ruled by venus and my venus is in the fourth house but conjunct that ic.  I have my chart depositor in mercury.  Interestingly enough.  I know that is too much.  Makes sense that I like being on stage.  But I am comfortable with the world at large and on stage.  But off stage, though I am friendly, I usually do not introduce myself to people.  It does happen.  I do have to say that I feel like I am always on stage.  That I am always performing when socializing.

I tend to look at both interpretations when a planet is on the cusp of a house. Do you perform for a living or is it a hobby, or just a character trait?

• Jewell says:

hello :) my ascendant is 25 Leo, Sun 9 Sag, in the 4th house. The only aspects my Sun makes to other planets are semi-sextiles to neptune and pluto, and a biquintile to my moon in 1 Taurus. . . While contemplating my sun’s placement in the past i’ve been a little lost, sort of feeling like it’s out there on it’s own in my chart… but as it is my chart ruler, it must really “shine”… hmmm… also, i find it very interesting that my 2 year old daughter’s ascendant falls on 9 Sag, conjunct my sun <3

Nice synastry with your daughter! She’ll definitely look to the way you present yourself as a model of how she should be. Your Sun is out there on its own without a major aspect to another planet. Sometimes a planet like that will take over a chart.

31. Ryanne says:

My ascendant ruler (Leo, the Sun) is in the 3rd house, Libra. I guess it makes sense because I’m a keen learner and can be excessively talkative when I’m comfortable with my surroundings/the people I’m with, but I don’t feel like this is where I’m going or want to be. I guess it’s the Sun/Jupiter conjunction in 3rd squaring my Neptune/Uranus conjunction in 5th that make my dreams too big :(

32. Yvette says:

My Asc Ruler is the Sun in Capricorn in the 6th house :) I’m a health enthusiast since i was a child i was always very aware in what i ate, I always try to remain healthy. I always try to be the best in everything I do I’m a big researcher in anything I find interesting but i think that has to do with Uranus,Neptune and Mercury aspecting my Sun in my 5th house I think that probably explain why I have so many interest and cant stay fixated to one thing. So i definitely identify myself with the Sun in the 6th house.

btw I have Saturn in my 6th house too

33. Capricorn says:

And what if we have a mutual reception here (when two planets are in each other’s signs).
    Capricorn (Sun), Gemini (Ascedant), Mercury in Capricorn conjunct the Sun. Saturn In Gemini.
    Is here also trouble separating these parts of the core of myself or is it more in sync with navigation of the Gemini (ascendant), the core of myself (the Sun) and his final direction (ruler Saturn also in Gemini)?

Your particular pattern shows a reiteration of similar themes – Saturn, Capricorn, Mercury, and Gemini. I’d wonder about feelings of responsibility towards siblings, communication issues, possible ambitions to be a writer, young/old opposing personality traits, etc…

34. Isa says:

I’ve got sun in crab, with aries rising and the mars is in leo, V house, so I think that I have this três characteristics equally very marked. But I understand nothing about nodes.
    Anyway, good post!

35. Ross says:

My Ascendant Ruler (Venus) is right in the middle of my Sun and my North Node… does this mean that my direction in life matches with my central self and my direction is a destination that extends out into the far, unforeseeable, future?? That’d be cool!

It’s hard though, I’ve got South Node conjunct Uranus and a bunch of quincunxes all around.

That’s a decent interpretation. Being more agreeable and learning to make compromises versus insisting on being an individual and being contrary (Uranus) is another.

36. Dario says:

Hi!!
    I’ve got Sun 7 degrees leo and ascendant 5 degrees leo too.
    Mercury 2 degrees leo and Mars in aries, 6 degrees.
    Maybe too much? What shall I watch out so that I come across genuinely despite all this?

Thanksss!! =) =)

37. Lynn says:

Hi Michelle – Love your posts. They are succinct and gave me helpful insight, esp one abt. Chiron.

Have same question as Ross above. Have Libra rise and Taurus NN…so Venus rules present lifetime & unforeseeable future?? Also have Scorp. stellium (Sun/Merc./Chiron/S Node) in 2nd House, which is ruled by Venus. Venus also in 2ndHouse, at tail end, conj. Jupiter (in 3rd).

Venus feels like good news. Get pretty mired in heaviness/pain.
    Chart is a bit loaded with PMS …..that would be Pluto/Mars/Saturn in 11th sq. most of Scorp. stellium.

38. Lynn says:

Oooeee! Read more above. More info. lends greater insight. Have Nptune conjnct. Libra ASC + 12th Virgo Moon. So, in summary…..I’m a deep dark mystic who’s pretty spacey and moved to core by the notion of world peace and the Divine/have creativity to burn …..but ooooh do Scorp. /11th stelliums ever colour all this…..often to point of obfuscation.

How are your group relationships?

39. Mantaz says:

Hello. I have Sun in Sagittarius in 11th house conjunct Mars. and conjunct venus(which is in 10th)
    my ascendant is in capricorn, conjunct Moon, Uranus and Neptune – all 4 within 2-3 degrees in conjunction.
    My Chart ruler Saturn is in aquarius in the first house – sextile to my Sun and Mars within 2degrees. and square Pluto in scorpio within 1 degree. Pluto is conjunct midheaven.
    AND I HAVE NO IDEA who i am. So far my childhood kinda pushed me to become violent and secretive (cause when i was just a small child, it looked like everyone wants to have a bite of me, while im just a weak child, especially random grown up people and relatives, who HAD more power – since the ascendant means early childhood). but i doubt that this would bring me happiness – to hurt people or get revenges. im also very scared to show my true self. Should i work on friendships (11th house Sun) ? what about my partnerships 7th ruler Moon conjunct ascendant and uranus, neptune. ? Is this part of my life afflicted badly or what?

Hi Mantaz,

This is much too deep and complicated a question to attempt to answer without seeing your chart.

40. narina says:

I am confused in what is my dominant planet, because my asc is in capricorn, but the ruler of capricorn-saturn is in aquarius.
    I have all that Mantaz above has- moon conj neptune exact! conj uranus, conj ascendant, and all these conjuncting themselves.
    Uranus is in capricorn so I see it funny how these 2 planets are in mutual reception.
    I am a 00 04′ gemini sun.
    When I calculate by hand(calculations of astrologer Donna C. , ) moon and saturn are dominant. In colour horoscope on astro- uranus and mercury are (followed by saturn and moon). On pullen chart- it’s saturn, moon, followed by pluto and venus.

Does anybody have an idea, what method to use , to find the real dominant planet?

1. Tweets that mention The Ascendant Ruler -- Topsy.com -

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Michelle, Michelle. Michelle said: #astrology The Ascendant Ruler – The Sun, Ascendant and Ascendant ruler The Sun is the heart of the chart. The Sun, … http://ow.ly/18jEfW […]