Transiting Saturn and Your House in Capricorn

Transiting Saturn is Still the Ruler of Capricorn

geologic hillTransiting Saturn, like natal Saturn, is the ruler of Capricorn. Each of us has a house in our chart that contains Capricorn and that house is ruled by Saturn. Saturn has its “Saturn” functions: to make you aware of reality, to create structure in your life, to help you become mature, to make you take on responsibility and to set boundaries in your life. However, Saturn also has its function as the ruler of the house in your natal chart that contains Capricorn. As Saturn transits through the houses, it still functions as the ruler of your Capricorn house. Saturn brings the concerns of the Capricorn house to whichever other house it is transiting. If Capricorn is in your 2nd house, then your 2nd house concerns and issues travel side by side with transiting Saturn. If Capricorn is in your 9th house, your 9th house concerns and issues travel side by side with Saturn. Saturn transits do more than restructure your houses; they restructure your houses with a specific goal in mind.

Saturn and Capricorn are Goal-Oriented

Saturn transits bring a house into focus for about 2.5 years. Saturn’s purpose during this transit is not only to restructure that one house, but also to serve the agenda of the natal house it rules. Saturn and Capricorn are goal oriented- they want to achieve something; they want concrete, recognizable results. A Saturn transit through your 2nd house might coincide with getting your finances in order but that’s not the point; the point to getting your finances in order is to build a bridge toward realizing your natal house in Capricorn.

Building Blocks for Self-Actuality

While a Saturn transit brings one house into focus for a few years, Saturn is always focused on the house it rules in your natal chart. That is the one house that Saturn is always trying to structure. As Saturn goes around the wheel of your chart it slowly builds a foundation that allows you to realize your Capricorn house. Your Capricorn house represents one of the areas in life that you may feel you are in some way lacking. The house ruled by Capricorn might be depressed or repressed. Saturn helps you find a way to bring that house’s potential out in a very real, grounded, practical, measurable way. The boundary making and boundary destroying, the reality checks and hard work that go along with Saturn’s transits all serve the natal house that contains Capricorn.

Tags: , ,

54 Responses to “Transiting Saturn and Your House in Capricorn”

1. Steph says:

Interesting! Saturn is currently transitting my Moon in Libra in the 10th house. My natal Saturn is in Capricorn in the 2nd! (I’m a beginner at all of this but it seems like a coincidence because aren’t the 2nd & 10th house connected? Not sure.) BUT if the 2nd house focuses on material possessions or money then Saturn is right on with teaching me these lessons. I’m studying abroad in January and always had issues with saving money. I really need to buckle down and get a better grip on managing my finances before I go. I guess Saturn is teaching me this?

WOW!!!! Sooooo interesting!!!! Natally, Capricorn is on the cusp of my empty 10th house and Saturn has been transiting my 6th since Oct. 5th, 2008…..which also happens to be the EXACT date my doctor declared me disabled AND is also right around the time I decided to quit persuing my life’s passion/career as a photographer and start considering the path of becoming an alternative healer. The disability stems from a work-related incident and has kept me from working for the past year and a half. However, it HAS allowed me the intense emotional and spiritual “prodding” needed to re-asses and restructure my career/life-path. CRAZY!!!!!!!!!! and yet sooooo cool!!!!!!!!

Don’t forget that Saturn’s revolutions and transits will also affect your Aquarius houses! Modern astrologers may have suddenly produced the ability to see Uranus in the sky somehow, and shoved over Saturn, but they both Co-rule Aquarius anyway. :) And if you meet enough Aquariuses, you’ll definitely see those Saturnian Aquariuses, the non-zany responsible quiet ones who get shit done. But I digress, as always. ;)

Great article– probably one of my favorites of yours. Then again, Saturn weighs heavily on my mind these days. And Saturn is the planet of heaviness! I have Saturn natally in Gemini in the 12th house, the house of its’ Joy, which is a small gift, but pretty small. Better is its exact trine to Uranus, Saturn’s exact opposite, at 19 Libra in the 4th. Also, Saturn’s antiscion is conjunct my Ascendant/South Node/Sun-Moon Midpoint/Sirius conjunction cluster thing I have going. My progressed Sun has just pulled away from my progressed Saturn, being conjunct with a 1 degree separating orb and moving away (please move faster, progressed Sun.) When transiting Saturn returned to its natal position (my first Saturn Return) in 2003ish, I was hospitalized with mental illness problems (Saturn in Gemini in 12th) for roughly 2.5 years– this coincided with the applying conjunction of progressed Sun to natal Saturn, also. So, as you can see, Saturn plays a role in my life which cannot be denied!

Transiting Saturn has been moving back and forth over my Immum Coeli/Pluto conjunction (26 Virgo to 1 Libra) for roughly 1.5 years now. Last year, the conjunction brought home problems in the form of a wild and horrible roommate whom we had to remove from our house pretty much forcibly. (Plutonic energy there!)

This year, I’m feeling it a lot more personally as progressed Mercury, ruler of my Virgo IC is squaring Uranus in the 4th house at the same time. This year, I must come to the conclusion that *I’m* the disruptive influence. Saturn on my natal Pluto challenges me to stick up for myself and deal with issues of personal power, independence, and deeply ingrained habits. At the same time, transiting Pluto is squaring that complex, and transiting Jupiter-Uranus and progressed Mars is opposing from my MC and you can see that my home life can only be described as a “pressure cooker” at times. I’ve taken to spending as much time at my friends’ houses (I rely on my 11th house as much as possible although my friends’ houses would be the 4th from the 11th or 3rd, which is a good one for me, generally, as it holds my well-dignified Moon in Virgo.)

As my Capricorn house is my 7th, (and my Aquarius houses are 8th and sometimes 9th, depending on which house system one uses) much of my search lately for a new home situation on new, solid grounds has involved the search for a mate. At the same time, since my 7th house is ruled by Saturn and my Saturn is in the 12th of self-undoing, I tend to think that a long term relationship is not really in the cards for me– and as a homosexual, it’s true that marriage is probably unlikely or will come very late– typical for Capricornians. I don’t subscribe to the modern idea of the 12th as the house of hoojie-woojie, as you well know! Modern astrologers seem to think that we moderns have removed badness and bad things from life– O brave new world! (I put hoojie-woojie in the 3rd, if you must know! lolz.)

Saturn is all about “teaching you a lesson.”

You have a great grasp on astrology for being a newcomer :D That was a great delineation of your placements. The 2nd house and 10th house are both earth houses. They both (along with the 6th) are used in career questions.

That’s very interesting. So many people seem to experience the 6th house in relation to an interest in alternative healing- it’s that mind/body connection.

Good luck on your new path brem0036. It’s amazing the way that Saturn can force a lack to get you to change perspective.

6. Spirithappiness says:

Hello! Your information and discussions feel very good! I had Saturn transit my second house while in Virgo, playing pinball with my natal Uranus, Pluto, SUn and Mercury…of course, opposite was transiting Uranus in Pisces, throwing curveballs here and there, conjunct my natal Saturn in Pisces in the 8th. I am looking forward to see what Saturn through my 3rd house in Libra brings….no heavy aspects there. whew! Pluto is going through my 6th house and right now I am working for the government doing investigations of wrongdoing….

Yes, yes, yes! You are so right- I did forget to add Aquarius. Thanks ;D

You put hoojie-woojie in the 3rd? Whyz that?

I know a few people with that Saturn in Pisces/Uranus in Virgo opposition- you have all had a really rough ride these past few years with that transiting Saturn/Uranus opposition right on top of it!

Quite interesting about Pluto/6th coinciding with government investigations!

9. firetiger says:

thanks for the new perspective~ saturn is going through my 12th house right now… natal saturn in the 2nd… capricorn ruler of the 3rd house, aquarius ruler of the 4th house cusp

lately i’ve been much more vocal and ‘open’ about the things that interest me (astrology and tarot for example) in fact I even said “put it out in the universe” haha because all of those things that are really Me are hidden off in the 12th……… as Saturn exited Virgo and entered Libra I have let my family and friends be more aware of the direction I’m going w/ my life~ that I plan to dedicate my life to these pursuits (healing arts) … additionally: I am confronting some more of my unhealthy habits and making strong efforts to alleviate myself from them.. I am also working on having a more grounded, stable, and long lasting romantic relationship

So, you’re noticing the transition with Saturn in Libra now too? I know I am. It’s just one more point for whole signs, even in transits. Yesterday I felt overwhelmed by the need to go out and buy a day planner so I can start writing a proper business plan- Libra is the sign on my 2nd house cusp.

11. Wg. says:

Sigh. Saturn still transiting my 7th (Virgo). I use Placidus, so following that, my 7th is a huge house with Libra hiding out in there. Capricorn rules my 11th and 12th (which contains Aquarius). And as I said, I have Saturn retrograde in my first, tightly conjunct Chiron. I tend not to pay too much attention to transits, it almost feels like courting/wishing for trouble to me, but it does seem like things have been tough since Saturn went into my 7th.

nice article. interesting esp now that i am having my saturn’s return in libra. saturn is transiting in my 6th house right now. as per my natal capricorn house, i have it in my 10th house. ha ha and i ma JOBLESS right now. deym! dont even know where i am going with regard to my career. i hate this saturn thing. no time for fun.

13. firetiger says:

yes definitely feeling the move to Libra….. and again, about whole signs, virgo through the 11th house was so appropriate~ not only was I at a loss for friends (we all moved away from each other), but also by the end of the transit I analyzed and define my big, future goals.. thank you Saturn! ps my planner is ridiculous (saturn in the 2nd) haha

ps my planner is ridiculous (saturn in the 2nd) haha

lol :D

Saturn transiting your 7th may explain why you suddenly feel happy working with the elderly. Your natal aspects don’t say too much about that (except maybe the Moon/Saturn sextile).

This might be a great opportunity for you to reevaluate what you want to do, what type of work you want to do, where you feel happiest working and what you eventually would like to be known for.

michelle- that is exactly what i am going through right. u are so right!!!! thank you so much for ur insight! mwah!

The Greeks called House 3 “Bona Dea” or House of the Moon Goddess, where the Moon has its Joy, as opposed to House 9, the House of the Sun God, or Main God. Whereas House 9 represents the “main religion” of a culture (for example, in our culture, house 9 represents Christianity and the other major religions) house 3 represents paganism and cults and the occult and goddess worship. House 9 is male; House 3 is female. I picked up the term “hoojie woojie” from an old co-worker of mine from when I worked at a bookstore. She and I worked in the back for awhile, unpacking boxes of books and sorting them into their categories– she referred to all of the New Age and occult stuff as hoojie woojie, which I thought was hilarious. She was such a practical Taurus! (I’m such an impractical Taurus in many ways– more of a dreamer.) House 9 is all of the culturally accepted modes of learning: philosophy, mathematics, state religion, etc. House 3 is the realm of the Goddess.

Unfortunately, this meaning has been lost in modern astrology, but the farther back you go, the more evident it seems, in my opinion. Interestingly enough, even Wikipedia notes this ancient connection to the Moon Goddess for the third house– must be a Traditional Astrologer involved there!

With Saturn serving the interests of your second house (creating value) but transiting through the 12th (self-undoing) I would be careful with healing; be sure not to be so self-sacrificial that you hurt yourself! :)

20. Wg. says:

Well Saturn has been transiting my 7th for a good long while now, approx since late 07. I’m not going to say yay or nay, but I will say that when I didn’t think I would want to work with the elderly, I hadn’t actually experienced it–and once I did I found I enjoyed it. :o)

21. firetiger says:

gracehoper~ thanks for the advice! no seriously.. i have a tendency to ‘over-do it’ :(

hi michelle- what if capricorn is cusps and occupies two house? 9th and 10th house but it occupies more of the 9th house? what does it mean? ive read before that 9th house means foreign places, since im now living in a foreign country, i wonder what this means for me? merci

If it covers the beginning of the 10th house only then Capricorn is in the 10th house. If Capricorn covers the beginning of the 9th and the 10th house, then you have Capricorn in both houses.

Check out this post for more clarity: http://astrofix.net/2010/04/23/how-to-find-your-house-rulers/
    Although it’s about how to find your house rulers, it shows you how to tell where the cusps are.

Hi Michelle! Great post, and a special shout out Gracehoper’s insights! I’ve been pretty busy lately so I haven’t been on the site in a while, but it has everything to do with these Saturn transits. I just recently started doing songwriting classes, and I’m really excited about it. I used to write long ago, but fell out of practice. Saturn is transiting my 3rd house right now, and I have Cap in 6th and Aqu ruling 7th (and Moon) and 8th. I’m picking up more classes and I’m starting to see how it’s all coming together (after the fact) astrologically. Interesting times! I’ve always had this feeling that I was going to live my Saturn return (28 Libra). :)

That’s fascinating and it makes so much sense to me as far as the big conventional religions versus smaller sects and cults. Every big concept needs its opposite personally meaningful idea. I’d need to read more about the Sun/Moon-9th/3rd relationship to really understand it.

Thank you for explaining that gracehoper :)

That’s fantastic! I’ve noticed that so many people involved with music have a 7th house emphasis. Some astrologers (like Howard Sasportas) equate a 7th house emphasis with fine arts. What type of music do you write?

27. Mysticvirgoae says:

I have always pictured Saturn energies to be like the teacher in the Pink Floyd vid “The Wall Pt.1″ Yes very much so… I have the transiting Saturn in my first now, I am really learning more and more about myself every day

Saturn is a teacher…definitely. I just heard “Dark side of the Moon” today on the radio today.

ahhhh… well, seems that my capricorn occupies the beginning and 3/4 of 9th house then the remaining is in 10th house. so i got 2 houses! this is getting confusing. =( what does this mean for me?

I like soul, r&b, pop, etc. That’s interesting about the 7th house. I haven’t really heard that before. I’ll research Howard Sasportas more!

• Ile says:

Hi jjasonham,
      I’m a songwriter too. Great to meet you here :)
      I have Capricorn DC with Sun in Aquarius in 7th.
      My 7th principle is emphasized with Libra Moon too (and maybe the Neptune-Venus conjunction).

Basically it means that your desire to expand, travel, and broaden your mind is connected to your desire for recognition and achievement. Both of these aspects of your personality travel around with Saturn as it transits your chart.

It is confusing :)

hmmmm… ur right.. i have the desire to travel the whole world. i dont know.. right now, i lost my regular boring job which good so i am currently thinking what i shud do next. and traveling the world makes my blood rise. =) i feel like i need to travel to get inspiration for my art and writing… and not only that i want to travel with a partner. i wonder until when this planning will be over so i could start doing the actual thing.

it really is confusing… but i am half way done to my goal. i am now living in a foreign country. does

thanks again, mich!!!

◦What do you think?
    I think it’s very sucky moment in my life right now

◦Where is transiting Saturn in your chart right now?
    5th house Libra

◦Which of your natal houses contains Capricorn?
    8th and 9th house are capricorn and Saturn squaring my rx born Neptune =~( hua, which also squaring Jupiter rx transit in Aries in 11th house

◦How do you experience the natal house that contains Capricorn?
    I feel that my philosophy and creativity blocked, since conservative Neptune believe it or not is my source of my idealistic dream but it gets so many contradiction, insults and conflicting and realization from Jupiter and Saturn. Thank God he is still kind to gave me mercury trine Neptune and Pluto to give me focus to the issue…and Omgh! Is that I forgot that I have Pluto conj Neptune nowadays!! So the T-square are formed by all the outter planets..
    This is the time..when I have to fight my dream/vision..to give up or to keep continuing even though the world is against me. (structure&opportunity aka Jupiter&Saturn) aren’t those bad karma or what? *_* faint

It’s interesting that your Neptune has so many issues, while your North Node is in the 12th house- do you think there’s a connection?

Neptune, Mars in Capricorn are one “virtue” team on my chart..if you wanna crave the goodies from me are in them ^^ However..Jupiter rx transit in Aries and Saturn in libra ..those transit karma planets are like bullying my stabilizing Cap Neptune.
    I think I got the after affect from our recent eclipse..the grand cross of cardinals in critical degree..Jupiter showing me the bad side of grade F movie that have similiar story with my ideas! And Saturn..if I apply job…they won’t hire me with my lack of resources..Pluto transit surprisingly in Neptune side, since it making a conj.
    I wonder what happen if Jupiter conj my node and later by Uranus? All in Aries!!
    When Uranus enter 0 degree Aries..suddenly my psyche shaken..and I become gradually more martian, combative and secluded than I ever before..and one Libra guy suddenly become sooo annoying for me wtf!^^ I accidenly found MUSE (rock band) and totally love it! I can’t stand cheeky love songs especially the r&b one
    I becoming a punk! Geez mich..I love vampire and action movie now..something that I always look away when Uranus was in Pisces.
    In relation with Node..I have guts feeling that to become mastering my philosophy, to find peace of mind/serenity..there always challange before I reach that stage. Maybe I destined to write a self- help book, travel, exchange ideas with foreigners and become shamanic lol
    but those aren’t come free or without price to pay..Because I have to dealing with inhibited personal demon in 12th. The fear and limited social support/lacking audience from Saturn in 7th Sag..fear of losing resources caused by lilith and Chiron in 2nd Gemini..Those are like whirlwind like a black hole! I created my own black hole..otherwise..it’s a very fine day outside..
    in summary..I always worry about material resources, my own talent and how people will perceive me?
    My Uranus natal (it’s in 18 degree Sag, 8th house) is in very unique placement..it’s oppose chiron and lilith in 2nd house but trine my node….it caused me so much heart-ache but he will survive me in the end? Haha..sorry for the rambling I got carried away lol ^^

Thank you sharing all of that Joswan. I like reading how you interpret your own aspects :)

37. guest says:

This is an interesting article. I am fairly new to the study of astrology and find Saturn intriguing. I currently have Saturn transiting my 6th house (Libra). My Capricorn I believe is intercepted. I am not sure if that is the correct term. Capricorn begins right smack in the middle of my 8th house and my entire 9th house is contained within Capricorn as well. So, I don’t know excactly where Saturns focus would be. The past year have brought about many changes in career/work. I have also started considering returning to school. At year’s end, Saturn will be conjunct my natal Uranus which I have learned will be a somewhat volitile transit. Can anyone help clarify?

It sounds like Saturn rules your 9th and 10th house. If you have Capricorn in the 9th house, then you have Aquarius on the 10th house. These both directly relate to The past year have brought about many changes in career/work. I have also started considering returning to school.

Saturn conjunct Uranus can point to getting some discipline where you might have a tendency to be disruptive, rebellious or contrary in your life.

• Nelle says:

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes…I do have Capricorn on my 9th and 10th house cusp. Aquarius on the 11th cusp. It is Pisces that is intercepted! I finally figured that out!

Saturn transiting my 6th has me working harder and more diligently than I have ever worked in my life. True to my Sag. nature, I have returned to school and am knee deep in philosophy and religious studies. I would like to teach at some point and am truly enjoying the discipline and structured organization that has been “forced” upon me!

I have Natal Saturn retrograde in my 1st and I noticed Saturn will go retro in a few days? What can I expect from this? I read somewhere that having retrograde planets in natal chart makes retrograde transits less difficult. Is that accurate?

~Nelle

Having so much Saturn in your chart might make the transit less difficult for you. I haven’t heard of Saturn transits being less difficult when the natal Saturn is retrograde.

Retrograde periods for transits seem to mark periods of review. They are periods of time when you want to go back over what you’ve set in motion to see if it’s what you want. Saturn’s retrograde is also a good time to start building a foundation for what you want to accomplish when the retro period ends.

38. Kaali says:

My Saturn is in Aquarius, 8th house…Capricorn on 7th cusp…hard lessons to learn…

Relationship and intimacy lessons.

39. Leah-nine says:

What if Capricorn is intercepted in your chart and doesn’t rule a house?

Saturn would still be the co-ruler of whichever house Capricorn is placed in.

now i totally understand what this saturn transit meant for me… i am havin my saturn return. and my capricorn is in 9thhouse… i am currently writing book….

Very cool. My Saturn Return marked a period when I began seriously asking myself how happy I was (I have a Capricorn 5th house) especially concerning work and employment (Aquarius on the 6th).

• amoureuse says:

did you change your work too? or have a change of heart? me, big time! lol  but what happeend was the outside events forced me to find myself and forced me to do my own thing rather than depending on employment outside.. hopefully this book could be it…=)

I quit my job, but not until a year later. I decided never to take another job like that. I realized I needed to do better.

It also had to with happiness in love and the need to have more fun in my relationship.

• amoureuse says:

i can relate…  i even fought with my parents for what really makes me happy and answering telephone calls do not make me happy… theres also this desire to be with someone… though till now i havent found him yet.. lol heehheh

“A Saturn transit through your 2nd house might coincide with getting your finances in order but that’s not the point; the point to getting your finances in order is to build a bridge toward realizing your natal house in Capricorn.”
    I never thought of it that way, Michelle.  I think now I’ll look at all past, present and future transits a bit differently.  I know I’ve read this idea before, or maybe it was something to do with where our natal placement of the transiting planet resides.  Either way, your phrasing makes the concept more real to me in a practical sense.  I get it. :)

1. Transiting Saturn: Restructuring and Getting Real » AstroDispatch.com » Astrology Around The Web -

[…] This is a continuation of the previous post Transiting Saturn and Your House in Capricorn. […]

2. Your Saturn Goal | magiczara -

[…] has two very important posts on Saturn. Read this one first, and then this […]