Cancer Sun 8th House

talking on a pink phoneWith the Sun in Cancer in the 8th house you are becoming deeply sensitive to states of transition and transformation. You discover personal power by preserving and nurturing the resources of others. Your central purpose is to sustain deeply caring relationships with the people who support you through blood, sweat and tears. You shine by showing that you have the tenacity to endure trials and tribulation. Coming into your own requires remaining emotionally available no matter what you are going through. Attaining self-realization means that you are prudent enough to know when to let others shine. Being you means that emotions run deep, and when it comes to domestic life, the people you consider to be part of your tribe, your inner circle or your family, you are willing to face fears to make necessary changes.

Everything is a mystery, ourselves, and all things both simple and humble. ~ Giorgio Morandi

I mean, the truth of the matter is, I like the failures as much as I like the successes, it’s only the world that doesn’t like the failures. ~ Sydney Pollack

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. ~ Nelson Mandela

"Natura Morta", by Giorgio Morandi

“Natura Morta”, by Giorgio Morandi

Cancer Sun in the 8th house

Nelson Mandela, Sydney Pollack and Giorgio Morandi

Tags: , , ,

Working on it!

54 Responses to “Cancer Sun 8th House”

1. Phantasmix says:

I have an 8th house Cancer sun and must say, this is kind of difficult to accept :) Always be there for the others. Endure trials.ughhh so familiar and so unfair :)

Really liked this:
    “you are willing to face fears to make necessary changes.”
    And that’s despite the others doubting my resolve!

“doubting my resolve”  .   .   .   those others just have no idea what lives within.  :  D

That’s right!

You don’t want to have this path in life? Why not? :p Just being a pain :)

• Phantasmix says:

:))) not sure

I haven’t transcended I,ME,MINE yet. I understand that I have to serve (and other aspects in my chart indicate that), but “what about my needs?” pops into my head.

Lately my mantra has been — “Serving doesn’t mean neglecting my own needs”. And then you shatter that theory with “requires remaining emotionally available no matter what you are going through”.

Come to think of it, I’ve been emotionally self-reliant for as long as I can remember. My parents were really immature and always needed my support and advice in adult matters, even when I was little. It comes naturally to only count on myself, but sometimes I look at others receiving support, and wonder how come I don’t have that.

By the way, that’s for all kinds of support, emotional, financial, professional…

( To talk at length about myself in a public forum feels very indulgent and selfish :)) )

“remaining emotionally available no matter what you are going through” isn’t incompatible with “Serving doesn’t mean neglecting my own needs.”
          One of the major things I’m realizing about the 8th house lately is the necessity of accepting help. I think there may be a relationship between the 6th house (giving help) and the 8th house (accepting help).

It seems like so many people with 8th house planets try to be utterly self-reliant, then end up feeling a little empty. Yet, when they accept help from others, they hate the dependency and feeling of “owing” someone. Also, frequently, circumstances will arise that force the 8th house Sun person to depend on others, stripping them of the ability to have total independence.

There seems to be a need with an 8th house Sun to strike a balance between being self-sufficient and allowing people to help you (or recognizing that you may *need* help at all). There can be a kind of denial of the fact that you are not as capable of doing everything yourself as you might think, and that however much you think you are independent, there is something lacking – the input and influence of other people. People with an 8th house Sun can’t have a fulfilling solitary existence.

Geez, Michelle, there must be something 8th house going on.  Must be that dern eclipse for me or something.  I broke out new hats this week, too.   And have been thinking about giving, receiving, taking.  Especially stuff I have somewhere about receiving.  Feel some kind of pain around receiving.  Feels like enslavement issues or something.  Doesn’t help that I was an overachiever as a kid (different from my present holy laziness now) and suffered resentment because of it.  Cool, I may be finally getting to my procrastination tendencies.

I also have something about having stuff forced on me.  Having to take it so I don’t hurt someone else’s feelings.   But acting in a certain way all the time not to hurt someone can be really damaging for me. It’s dishonest for one.   Am working to find some graceful conclusion in that demise.   I have learned to ask for help when I need it.  It’s something like Msfullroller said about the right teachers or the right helpers.  Stay aware I guess.  And for some reason I am okay with a solitary existence but know that I need to pull myself out sometimes, too.

Hope you don’t mind me buggin in when I don’t have sun 8th.  Moon and venus.  :  )

I’ve probably asked this before but, do you have Pluto in the 6th house?

Last week was one of the most emotionally difficult weeks I’ve ever had. I may write about it for the blog, but I’m just too close to it right now. There were definitely issues about giving and receiving, which I think will be a theme in my life as transiting Pluto gets closer to entering my 5th house.

I took the photo with the hat yesterday. Impromptu :) I wear hats a lot. They make you look good even when you’re having a bad hair day :)

No, pluto on the MC, 9/10 cusp or since you like whole house it would be 10/11 cusp, but then with whole house, moon/venus would be 9th.  Why do you ask about the pluto placement?  Transiting pluto is in opposition zone of my natal moon.  Eclipse was conjunct, within 1 degree, natal moon.

I like the picture.  You look mysterious.  One of the reasons I let my hair grow back was so I could wear hats again.  But in this humidity lately, I’m real tempted to cut it all off again.

Hang in there!!!

I go back and forth with whole signs. I think it adds another dimension to the chart, but Placidus is definitely better for transits and progressions (that’s what I’m noticing).

Mysterious! Ha. Awesome. Mission accomplished ;)

My hair is crazy long right now. There was a comedienne ( I can’t remember her name now) who said there is a fine line (about 3 inches) between sexy, model-like, long hair and “sister wives” long hair. My hair is getting close to being too long (but not yet).

About the Pluto placement -

I’ve noticed Pluto in the 6th can have major issues with feeling subservient.

Pluto in the 10th would likely have major issues with authority and people in positions of power.

Sorry to hear you had a tough week, Michelle.  Transiting Pluto is nearing my 5th too.  I was hoping it would make me artistically driven, or something like that.

Looking at this new photo, I wasn’t even sure it was you – this hat makes you look so young!  I’m not a hat girl, but I do love my headbands, especially on bad hair days or when I’m out walking on a windy day.

It’s funny that you say I look young, because I feel so old this week.

Most of us with Virgo rising (who don’t have interception) are going to have all 3 relationship houses (5, 7, and 8) filled with the outer planets over the next few years: Uranus in the 8th, Neptune in the 7th and Pluto in the 5th. I imagine we are all going to suddenly become intensely interested in relationship issues (among other things).

I’m looking forward to artistic intensity and passionate self-expression with Pluto/5th; sudden penetrating insights with Uranus/8th; and feeling the barriers between myself and others melt away with Neptune/7th. Need I say what I’m not looking forward to with those transits?!

As a side note, there is a line of thinking that suggests that the 12th house is the 5th house to the 8th.  Alas, Thomas Moore’s Original Self falls off the bookshelf and hits me in the head.  I am presently deeming it my ultimate 8th house book.  Good for the soul.

How classic.  This full moon sun conjuncts my venus, eighth house of course.   Sometimes astrology is funny.

I’m right with you . . . this full moon is exactly square my North and South Nodes – in the 2nd and 8th, of course!

This Full Moon is in my 5th and 11th house. The Sun conjuncts my Saturn in Cancer by 4 degrees.

I haven’t read that book.

When I first learned about derivative houses, I thought it was used primarily for horary, but now I see many astrologers using it for natal charts.

That’s one of the things I like about you.  You don’t claim to know what you haven’t examined and come to a conclusion about.  Part of your uniqueness I guess.  And why you seem fearless to tackle whatever I throw at you, even my seaminess, which is so objectionable to some.

Actually, billow, it’s part of moving away from a 9th house South Node “know it all” stance. I’m not a professor, I’m a student.

Plus, my North Node is in Scorpio.

I really like the word endurance used with the 8th house.  It confused me when you once wrote that the key was taking it in and not letting it out (kinduv cancerian pincer claws).  But I think it is the allowance of process time for digesting and transforming it before spitting it out.

I don’t remember that…do you remember where it was, or what that comment was in relation to?

If I remember correctly, I believe it was in discussion about Neptune.  If 12 house has to do with unconscious or subconscious or hidden, a little discernment can go a long way.  For example, if I feel panic for some reason, I may want to sit with it instead of going gunning for some food, or drink or smoke.  Unconscious response can be good, but coming to conscious awareness about the unconscious urge can prevent unwanted consequences.

Did I say that? Lol…sounds like good advice. That’s advice I’m giving myself right now – sit with things and see how events unfold.

I noticed somewhere around 2006 that I was continually amping myself up to get to someplace else, whether it be work, household tasks, conversation, etc.  I’m working to move from myself rather than external stimuli, I think.  It’s a very slow process.  A complete change and a real challenge for natal Mars rx.   Just couldn’t drink enough cofee ya know, so I’m on my own.

Speaking of coffee, I ran out this morning :(

I love what you say, Michelle.  I hope you never lose your enthusiasm for learning from your clients’ experiences – it makes your approach very spiritually appealing..  Even if only one person out of a thousand deviates from the norm, it will inform your art by giving you a broader perspective on the mysteries of the human spirit..

IMO, it’s what separates the humblest – and therefore wisest – from more arrogant.practitioners.

Thanks, LB :)

But your insights are very informative.  Often move me forward or wake me up.  For some reason, you seem to understand that you are part of the process, not outside of it?  Does it work for you in one on one readings, or are you expected to know everything?

You know what’s weird? My whole life people always think I’m going to have the answers – not just about astrology, about anything. People will sort of stare at me expectantly until I say something that sounds smart. I had to get over some ego/pride stuff to be able to feel okay saying, “I don’t know.” There’s some part of me that feels I should know – that I should really know everything about everything (I do have Jupiter in the 9th house). Other people don’t need to know everything about everything, but I do. I feel happier when I’m part of the process instead of outside of it.

I don’t know how often you look at my astrology readings page, but I used to only do written readings. I started to become aware that it was incredibly South Node. Without the immediate interaction and feedback from the other person, I felt like I was writing book reports for school. Now that I’m only doing phone readings, I’m happier. Actually talking to people in real time and hearing their real experiences is so much more gratifying (for me, and I hope for them too). It hasn’t come up yet that I wasn’t able to answer a client’s question within a reading. If it did I’d probably offer to do a little research and email an answer back.

One of the things about my nodal axis is that I get to test what I really “know” by applying it to real life. It’s one thing to read about how the aspects work in a book, and it’s another to hear the real experiences of real people.

I’ve been having a Kosmo Kramer “I’m faareaking out, jerry” kind of morning.  There is a scene from the Klimt movie that kept flashing in my brain.  An aspiring artist sits down at the cafe table with artist Klimt.  Klimt pulls out his sketch pad and tells the artist to draw a line and then he will draw a line and together they draw.  The aspiring artist asks “but whose drawing is it, yours or mine?”

I am feeling like I am getting a pretty clear picture of what I want in relationship.  Give receive.  Simple to say.  Harder to really understand.  My Achilles conjuncts Hebe the enabler and Niobe the overestimator.  Pluto in Libra I like it.

Wow, Michelle.  I don’t have an 8th house Sun either, but your comment kind of describes my experience with having 8th house placements exactly opposite my 2nd house Sun.

Learning to accept my need for interdependent (there’s that word again) relationships has been tough, but necessary.  Now that I’m no longer completely independent, I still feel as if I’m failing sometimes.  I’ve been conditioned to think this way and every time I read something about 2nd house North Node (in Libra) meaning I have to rely on myself for “income” (something I’ve always been able to do up until now), I have to wonder . . .

That’s why I think astrological interpretations can be much more complex, at least in the case of my own 2nd/8th house placements.

Totally agree LB.

I have Pluto in the 2nd, but my Sun, Mercur, Venus, Chiron and BML are in the 8th. It’s further complicated by having a North Node in Scorpio and South Node in Taurus.

I know I said this once before, but it’s not giving or receiving – it’s both. It’s the exchange – what I give and what the other people gives to me. Deep entanglements, not one-sided relationships.

“I know I said this once before, but it’s not giving OR receiving – it’s both. . . .”

You may have said it before, but it bears repeating.  :)

Are you talking to bears again?

LOL! :)

I’ve been considering your idea of the 6/8 connection.  I can see a correlation and I think it is something to consider.  Encapsulating it in a few words is difficult.  Great review as I head back into the work force.  My 6 is aries/taurus no planets and my eighth gemini/cancer moon/venus.

Let’s see I work well independently (aries) as part of the larger group.  Need open communication to bounce ideas back and forth.  Utilize resouces available to find answers.  Communication shutdowns are difficult.  Politicization that detracts or seeks to void work toward goals for personal power over others is an impossible environment.

The taurus venus or maybe venus/moon thing is probably reflected in my work values.  And the fact that I really dug cost accounting and budgets and the like.  I consider my financial reports a work of art presented to the decision makers.  It’s all in how the work is communicated.  I like numbers, they balance, and I like the troubleshooting.  Too bad everything went corrupt.  I couldn’t go there.  There is leeway for creative but not corrupt, and there really was no reason for it for a company to be successful but to fill certain individual’s pockets, which in the long run only destroys the company that feeds the pockets.  But I guess by then the big pockets are off to pillage somewhere else.

So now I’m doing this natural resources thing and considering statistics and studies, and how to be involved in science and not have my contribution be part of the corruption game.  I just never know what or how my work will be used.   That is always a consideration for me.

Does this connect?

I’m reconsidering my idea because the 12th house is really about receiving charity. The 8th house isn’t charity,it’s what you get when you’re in a relationship with someone and you’re digging beneath the surface of things. The 8th house is about support, but not handouts.

I was looking at 6/8.  Loving the hard work that goes into the group endeavor, moving it toward success.   What is the charity aspect that you see?

What is the charity aspect that you see?
                  I’m not sure I understand what you mean by this.

Oh, I thought your mention of charity had to do with something in my 6/8 rendering.

Charity/handouts are more 12th house.

Am I hopelessly confused here?

It has been a gnarly interaction.  :  )  Merc rx is in the retro zone after all.  And it is going rx opposite your friend and mine, neptune.  Where am I again?

Mercury retro … le sigh.

The entire first half of July has felt like a Mercury retrograde to me: my refrigerator stopped working, the toilet started leaking, the knobs for the shower stopped turning and the dryer stopped working.

The way I see it Michelle, it’s gotta be some kind of revolt of the the household appliances.  They are all in your 11th house of group household appliances.  It’s like the cancer sun must have lit up some kind of mars energy and either they are angry or went into overdrive and burnt themselves out.  I hate it when that happens.   ( I guess you can understand why I can never be an astrologer.  :  D )

You are absolutely spot on. The eclipse on July 1st was at 10 Cancer: conjunct my Mars at 10 Cancer and square Pluto at 10 Libra.

• Tracey says:

“It seems like so many people with 8th house planets try to be utterly
            self-reliant, then end up feeling a little empty. Yet, when they accept
            help from others, they hate the dependency and feeling of “owing”
            someone.”

Michelle,

I can really relate to this comment. I’ve been self reliant in many ways since I was a child, especially emotionally. What I don’t understand about myself is how I like to give yet when I receive I worry about “owing” someone as you wrote. Someone said to me this week that by not receiving I may take the joy away from the person who wants to give/gift to me just as I like to the same for them. That did help put things into perspective yet the “shift” in me to really get it hasn’t happened yet. I’ll keep working on it. Thanks for what you wrote.

Tracey

I may take the joy away from the person who wants to give/gift to me just as I like to do the same for them

That is so true. If you deny people the opportunity to give to you, you cut off the possibility of deeper relationships.

Thank you for reading, Tracey. Which planets do you have in the 8th house?

But I ain’t taking the blame.  Haven’t figured out how to deal with that one yet.

2. Sovietlana says:

Michelle, first of all, really enjoyed reading through all the info you provided and love the way you used pictures to convey meanings. My Sun is in Cancer also in 8th house. At the beginning of next year Pluto (which is now transiting my 2nd house) will be opposing my sun. I’ve tried to look for explanations on how this opposition would manifest itself in relationship to the houses. I know 8th house is about death, money, sex, regeneration so how would that affect me? Also in about 1.5 years pluto will square my mars (which is natally in 10th house). It’s known that Pluto aspects can be tough and yet rewarding in the event.
    Thank you for your input.

3. Kellykuhn18 says:

Thank you! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :) very helpful ! :) <3

Thanks, Kellykuhn18 :) Did you respond to anything in particular?