Pluto/IC Aspects

woman underwater

“The Chainless Links” by Brooke Shaden

Unsafe home life. The destruction of normal family constructs. Power struggles at home. Power struggles with family members. Power struggles with mom or other maternal figures in your life. Destruction of roots. Transformation of the core self. Finding something deeper to base your life on than family ties. Breaking away from family conditioning.

Feeling trapped. Feeling captive. Feeling like you are being held hostage. Feelings of powerlessness. Held hostage by parental influence. Home-bound. Feeling trapped by family circumstances. Smothered. Stifled. Suffocated by family ties. Extremely complex feelings surrounding nurturing and being nurtured. Circumstances that make you feel dependent, or like a child. Extremely infantile behavior. Intense withdrawal from the outside world. Intense fears of the concept of “family” or “home-making.” Family life is dangerous, an entrapment and suffocating. The complete breakdown of normal family structures. A seething home life. Family members who are shrouded in mystery. Taboo family secrets. Your family is taboo. Your family brings up complex feelings about what it means to be in a family and what a “family” is.

Intense home life. Intense family connections. Life or death family struggles. The powerful influence of your roots, heritage and lineage over your life. Home is a pressure cooker. Feeling pressure from within. Feeling that you can’t escape the scrutiny of your family members, or other people that you let into your inner circle. Nightmarish family life. Destroying the family line. Experiencing a lot of death in your immediate family. Privately tormented. Plunging headlong into family drama.

Digging deep within to handle outside pressures. Transforming who you are deep inside. Learning to stand up for yourself. Finding an internal source of power. Tapping into inner wells of power to triumph over outside pressures. Getting to the bottom of things. Getting to the source of your problems. Psychotherapy focusing on family dynamics. Regressing to an infantile state. Interest in therapies like re-birthing. Regenerating yourself by digging through family history. Being reborn by investigating where you come from. Finding power through understanding your lineage and heritage. Excavating your deep-seated notions about who your family members are. Sifting through family secrets to understand yourself. Having the inner strength to handle difficult family situations. Finding your seat of power. The ability to build yourself back up after any type of breakdown. The ability to handle just about anything that life may throw at you.  The capacity to break through old, stagnant, destructive family patterns. Breaking through family habits and patterns handed down through generations. Interest in genealogy, archaeology and anthropology. Capacity for intense self-reflection. Finding buried treasure by going within.

Planets in aspect to the MC (Medium Coeli), or Midheaven, are also always in aspect to the IC (Imum Coeli). Posts are split up between MC and IC to show the different point of view that each of the angles brings to the natal chart. To learn about the flip-side of Pluto/IC, read Pluto/Midheaven Aspects.

People with Pluto/IC aspects:

• Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Pluto conjunct IC
  • Sandra Bullock: Pluto conjunct IC
  • Mick Jagger: Pluto conjunct IC
  • Charles Manson: Pluto conjunct IC
  • Leonardo DiCaprio: Pluto square IC
  • Kurt Cobain: Pluto square IC
  • Mahatma Gandhi: Pluto trine IC
  • Nelson Mandela: Pluto trine IC
  • Bjork: Pluto opposite IC
  • Roman Polanski: Pluto opposite IC

Tags: , , , , ,

145 Responses to “Pluto/IC Aspects”

1. David5379 says:

wow im surprised you did this, i have the conjunction and its really tight, and ive been thinking about it lately ha

My Pluto/IC line runs down the entire West coast. I’ve been thinking about Pluto/IC continuously over the past 3 weeks based on the experiences I had traveling on the road trip. I wanted to get it all down while it was fresh, even though it’s a little off course from what I ‘should’ be writing about.

What have your experiences been?

• David5379 says:

well, im not arguing ha, well my pluto IC problems are pretty personal, i dont like talking about them, essentially 2 years ago i faced true evil, what was once considered the most perfect and pure thing i knew turned out to be rotten and filled with lies, it didnt just go from perfect to not that great or even from perfect to flawed, it seemed to descend to the most horrible and evil quality something can consist of,  there was definatly that whole pluto mercurey thing i have going on, and i was like a double agent spy forced to be an intermediary between the side that wholly hated and wanted to anhiliate the other side, and that other side that just wanted to get it over with and was not really keen on a fight. The most important thing was i realized how powerful i was, and when faced with my deepest darkest self found i was not evil, i have no guilt in the fact i had to lie continuously or do some things that can be considered immoral even, but i had both parents in mind and was willing to do whatever, and i singlehandedly got us through it
        i do not mean that lightly at all, if left to there own devices, if i just didnt do anything or sided with one over the other everything would have fallen apart, im not just saying that, if i didnt step in someone might have gone to jail or even been left destitute or mentally broken, in all seriousness i kept our family intact all  by myself, with no help, everyone else just added there problems onto me, but i did it, by myself, and with no serious hang ups moving forward, and no one at school could even tell something was up, i still got the same grades and had the same laughs

i am not a boastful person, i hate bragging and attention(im virgo rising damnit!) , but in all seriousness and with out a degree of exaggeration i saved our family, and i am in fact a powerful person, I can survive anything, maybe no one can really tell, but its true, the floor opened up bellow me and i faced the very depths of hell, i made it back just fine

Awesome description, David5379. Something I forgot to add to this description is the need for privacy.

I’m a naturally private person ( 3 planets, Chiron and BML in the 8th house) but during this trip I felt an unrelenting need to be by myself. I felt like I couldn’t get enough privacy.

• David5379 says:

ha thats funny you say that, whenever im home most of the time i want to be by myself, and whenever someone just barges into my room there like “why is your room so dark? turn on some lights”, and then that weird moment you feel like youv been caught doing something wrong or have been caught in the act even when your not doing anything at all, ugh i hate that, i have nothing to hide EVER but it feels so horrible being interrupted

• David5379 says:

and capacity for intense self reflection was a very good one in particular, by the by

Thanks :)

Thanks :)

David is like a super hero like batman or someone like that.  They always work under a mask.

Batman … nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh, nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh … BATMAN!!!

I think Batman had a 12th house Aquarius Sun.

I don’t have this aspect but with transiting Pluto being within conjunction of my IC from the 3rd house and it’s journey of my 4th since late 1994, I damn sure feel like it’s in my natal chart! And it ain’t over yet! Whoever said “what does not kill you makes you stronger” must have had this aspect or Pluto on an angle somewhere.

My mother-in-law just passed this weekend. She’s another in the cycle of death in my family and my husband’s family over this past 17 years.

You hit the nail square on the head with this one Michelle! I’m glad you “went off course” and wrote this one. It’s confirmation of what I’ve been feeling…for a while in hoping to somewhat understand what I’m supposed to learn from this transit.

I’m sorry to hear about your mother-in-law, MsFullroller. I can totally relate to the endless Pluto in the 4th transit. Pluto transited my IC in 1999, and it’s still in my 4th house. In one astrology book I read (can’t remember the author) she said that people who survive Pluto transited the 4th should at least get a t-shirt.

“Pluto transited my 4th house and all I got was this lousy t-shirt.” Ha!

Thanks Sis. Pluto is still in my 4th as well, busting through IC  in 1997. ’94 was the first reach out and touch one in the family even though it was still in the 3rd, 5-6 degrees from exact conjunction. It won’t be fully out til 2015.  Sooo…that means I’ve got some time to decide exactly how I want that t-shirt to look. Even though it’s a t-shirt, that Leo Moon says it’s got to look good! ;-)

It does have to look good. No Hanes Beefy Ts.

Sorry about your mother-in-law, MsFullroller.  Hope you and your hubby are doing okay.

I know what you and Michelle mean about Pluto transiting through the 4th.  It’s been in mine for many years now and is not done yet.  All I can say is that it’s a great transit for ‘house-cleaning’, both metaphorically and literally.  It’s forced me to deal with my stuff, the stuff I inherited as well as my own, and I’m no longer the same person I once was.  Or maybe, I’m *more* of who I was meant to be.

Thanks LB. We are doing fine.

I totally agree with what you said.

I got to thinking about this a bit more with all that has come up regarding “family” in these last 17 years. Pluto through the 4th or in the natal seems to be like an forced out of state move where you now must look at all the shizitt you’ve accumulated,  tucked waay back in the garage, in the attic, in the closets and in the basement, at Mom’s house etc. Cuz when the moving company comes to tell you how much it’s gonna cost to transport all that mess, you decide at the speed of lightening what to throw away. Taking only what you really need to your new home to begin again.

“Taking only what you really need to your new home to begin again.”

Yes, exactly.  I would add that we also sometimes redefine exactly what ‘home’ means.  Since T. Pluto has been in my 4th, circumstances have necessitated that we move a total of three (actually, four) times.  That’s not even counting the numerous moves (and major ‘purges’) I’ve handled on behalf of my parents, including the emptying/cleaning/repairing of my childhood home in preparation for sale.  Maybe you’ve been through something similar and know how cathartic (but tough) that process can be.  Of course, part of my challenge had to do with Pluto joining my 4th house Saturn.

Like you said, the hidden blessing with Pluto’s transit has been that it’s forced me to let go of anything not truly of value and to discover, then treasure, what’s most important to me.  With natal Pluto in the 12th, resistance is futile.

Good luck with that T. Pluto semi-sextile, MsFullroller.  T. Pluto has been trine (now separating) my natal Pluto for a while now and I’m feeling the effects.

I forget what house your natal Pluto is in – is it in the 2nd?  I only ask because as I understand it, Pluto transits also affect our natal placement of Pluto.

I’m beginning to think resistance is futile no matter where Pluto is in your natal chart! Mine is in the 1st conjunct the ascendant.  I got awhile before I get the trine to my natal Uranus/Pluto conjunction, however sometime next year it’ll be trine my ascendant. T.Saturn is soon to be semi-sextile that conjunction.

” I would add that we also sometimes redefine exactly what ‘home’ means.”Oh yeah! My 4th is empty but I have moved twice,  moved my mother 3 times one time being after my father passed , moved within the place I used to work at once and moved the entire office once. Fortunately my parents sold the house prior to moving here. Move is a four letter word to me. lol

Hahaha, four letter word is right.  Kind of amazing how similar our 4th house experiences have been.  Michelle is right – we do need a t-shirt! :)

Trine your ascendant sounds good!  I guess that means it’ll be trine mine soon enough.  Which is good, since at my age my ascendant needs all the help it can get.  BTW, is it my imagination or does the image beside my name look a little masculine?

It is amazing and I’m so glad that everyone has shared because there is very little out there on Pluto in or transiting the IC/4th house.

Nope not your imagination at all. It is a guy’s silhouette.

I don’t know what’s going on with the Mercurial image. For some reason the commenting system isn’t saving the image. You should see “retro” images soon.

I don’t think Pluto is as much about moving as it is about total purging through moving.

I agree with you there. Most will not initiate purging unless some kind of move whether physical or a shift of perspective causes them to.

I got an extra dose of what does “home” mean when I just had my Mars Return on the 17th (transiting Mars in Cancer also squared natal Pluto). I’ve been giving serious consideration to where I want to live and what kind of place will truly feel like home (not just the house but the area of the country as well).

I like your analogy of cleaning out the house. I still have dreams about neighborhood demolition, new additions to houses, rooms changing, and finding hidden doors, rooms and staircases – especially in the houses I grew up in.

It’s good to get through all that family stuff; it won’t follow you your whole life.

What house rules in laws?

The 9th house rules in-laws. #astrology

Very sorry about your family’s loss, MsFullroller.

As I added to my Uranus/IC reply it turns out I have this aspect as a bi-novile. Pluto is 3 seconds in front of Uranus. So transiting Pluto is/has been setting off this aspect and the natal Pluto/Uranus conjunction to my ascendant in the 1st.

OMG, finally after all these years I know that I was not imagining the power struggles going on in my household as a kid! Thank you Michelle!!! :-)

3. Scythe404 says:

Experiencing your shadow as taller than you.

Pluto in Scorpio in the 4th, a few degrees from exact conjunction. :( Not the happiest origin story…

I’ll have to think about that first sentence.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Scythe 404 :)

The tall shadow (although somehow that word doesn’t quite do it for me) is just the tip of the iceberg?

I like the IC as the bottom of the IC…way, way underwater where you can’t see and have no way of knowing where it is.

I’m thinking I can call it.  Like say, this is as far as I’m going with this now.

Pluto/IC with the iceberg metaphor is kind of like, “How bad can it get?” and then it just keeps getting worse and worse – similar to, “Where does it end? Where’s the bottom?”

4. Robin Joy Dore says:

I have a Singleton Pluto in Libra13° 8’50” in my 4th house Equal/Koch and my IC is in Virgo 11°21’11”  in my 4th house Equal/Koch and my IC is in Virgo 11°21’11” I can definitely say that there have been alot of upheavals and alot of drama in my home life since I was very young. My parents used to move frequently as well.

Is Uranus in aspect to your IC as well?

• Robin Joy Dore says:

No, my Uranus is in the 5th house in Scorpio
        but my Moon in Virgo 9′ (rounded off) is
        conjunct my IC from my 3rd house.

My mom’s Uranus retrograde 8’50 in Gemini
         is in her 3rd house and conjunct her IC in Gemini 18’59 degrees
         and her Mars in Gemini 14’13 in the 4th house is also conjunct her IC

Is there something that I’m missing? :-)

I was just wondering because you moved a lot. Uranus/IC seems to show instability, or moving. Your mom must be all over the place!

• Robin Joy Dore says:

^_^ She definitely had a wanderlust and was definitely all over the place for years ….she took her family with her too, which is a good thing…but she has some physical health problems now and has settled down quite a bit, though she still travels sometimes.  Also, yes,she can be unstable a bit mentally and emotionally ….she can be quirky too. :-) I think that it helps that she has Moon in Cancer and Saturn in Gemini in her 4th house.

I’m sorry for all the edits. I kept thinking of things to add.

Michelle, these are all very good and also very *powerful* descriptions.:)  I relate to many (if not most) of them, but especially, “Finding an internal source of power.”  For me, that would be my spiritual faith.  I’ve learned my true source of power lies within and is not at all dependent upon my ability to control circumstances outside myself, although my attitude does sometimes have an effect.

With Pluto in the 12th (and conjunct my Ascendant) square a Sagittarius IC (conjunct the Fixed Star, Antares), there have been plenty of times throughout my life when if I’d allowed myself to focus solely on all of the dangers, responsibilities and/or lack of freedom I had, my home and my life would’ve felt like a hellish prison.  Sometimes it has felt that way.

I also don’t have any illusions about the word ‘family’ and what that means.  In both my immediate and extended families, that particular word gets thrown around quite a bit, without much follow-through.  It sounds good, but doesn’t guarantee much.  I’ve worked very hard to understand myself within the context of the family dynamics and early childhood environment that helped to shape me, and I no longer allow my previous roles to define me – they’re way too limiting.  Like you said, there’s treasure buried deep within and some of those gifts are unique to me.

There are still a few family secrets I’d like to unravel.

Finding out who you are beyond family bonds is a big one with this position; family “expectations” seems to show up more with people who have Pluto in the 10th. My family didn’t put a lot of expectations upon me (Neptune opposing the MC) but I had to disentangle myself from family bonds to get surer footing. I’m not really addressing what you wrote, am I? :)

“I’m not really addressing what you wrote, am I?”

Sure you are, Michelle.:)  I always feel like you’re interested and that your responses add something to the mix.  I learn from them.  I think I get what you’re trying to say – in my chart, Pluto is parallel my MC.  It’s even more complicated by the fact that the rulers of all of my angles (almost wrote angels – hahaha) are conjunct and in Scorpio.

Neptune is conjunct the ruler of my IC, which in some ways, might be similar to your own  Neptune placement..  My family didn’t expect much from me either, especially since they never really *saw* me – I existed only as an extension of their own unmet/unrecognized needs and valued qualities (ever read “The Drama of the Gifted Child”?)  Anything else was disregarded or considered wrong/selfish.  Most of my family never really knew me.  My mom only knew me at the end when she’d finally lost her mind and all that was left was her heart.

Yet when it came to being responsible, I was the one who took over (Saturn in the 4th).

One thing I didn’t mention that’s kind of interesting, is that my dad – who wasn’t at all religious and even seemed threatened by the idea of a power greater than himself – came from a long line of preachers!  I made the discovery after he’d passed and I started doing genealogy research.  I was shocked.

This past year, I dreamed about a Native American great grandmother on my mother’s side.  Her history is unclear and the mystery has been nagging at me.  It seems important.

Family history is so revealing. My grandmother’s cousin did research on our family, but I haven’t seen any of it except for one odd fact: I had a relative with the same last name as my boyfriend. It’s odd because I had never heard of his last name until I met him.

Good luck finding out more about your great grandmother.

“family secrets”  .  .  .  one big lie is behind the whole power structure.  Happened before I was born.   Everybody and their dog knew but me and a younger sibling.  About time it came out.   “Oh what a tangled web we weave.”

Say you have an aspect on the MC, that affects the IC at the same time right?
    Or is that only with the opposition?

Yes, any aspect to the IC also affects the MC (and vice versa). What I’ve decided to do is address them from one position, and then the other, to show the opposing point of view. Pluto/IC will show one point of view and Pluto/MC will show the opposite point of view.

So, there will be a Pluto/MC aspects post, but you should read this one and that one if your Pluto is in aspect to the MC or the IC.

Does that make sense?

• Soman says:

Michelle,
        So much unbearable stress. Will i even survive beyond this week :|
        If you could please look the chart.
        thanks

Hi Soman,

I’m sorry but I don’t do personal astrology readings within the blog. I have an astrology readings page for that purpose: http://astrofix.net/astrology-readings/.

Your stress is probably at least partly due to transiting Pluto in Capricorn square your natal Sun in Libra.

er.. mich, how do i know my IC? i only see MC and AC… please help thanks

The IC is always directly opposite the MC.

• amoureuse says:

yeah i know.. i saw i on the circle.. but on the chart aspects, IC is not included..only AC and MC

oh no…. i got pluto square MC… though i have a solid family…  but the breaking away from family ocnditioning and power struggles is somewhat true to me… this one as well “Held hostage by parental influence. Home-bound. Feeling trapped by
    family circumstances. Smothered. Stifled. Suffocated by family ties.
    Extremely complex feelings surrounding nurturing and being nurtured.
    Circumstances that make you feel dependent, or like a child.”

but “unsafe homelife is not true to me.. my family immediate family is warm and most of my relatives and neighbors somehow look up to us as a family…

“The powerful influence of your roots, heritage and lineage over your life.” this is true to me… my father is spanish and my mother is half spanish and half chinese.. this somehow is a deep concern with me… geez… i hate this aspect.. i have this eagerness to know where i came from and the knd of bloodline i have

“Getting to the source of your problems. Psychotherapy focusing on family dynamics. Interest in therapies like re-birthing. Regenerating yourself by
    digging through family history. Being reborn by investigating where you
    come from. Finding power through understanding your lineage and
    heritage. Excavating your deep-seated notions about who your family
    members are. Sifting through family secrets to understand yourself. The capacity to break through old, stagnant, destructive family
    patterns. Breaking through family habits and patterns handed down
    through generations.” Oh my gosh.. i have this thinking that my family is carrying some sort of curse…

thanks for this post mich  i cant wait for the pluto/ MC

Ooh that pic with the article was a “dead on” thanks for the link too

^^

Glad you liked them :)

10. billow says:

I have pluto mh opposite IC, of course, but Michelle and David5379 commentary is uncannily familiar.  I think there was a ton of stuff in the darkness  that was just waiting to get out when Uranus crossed my IC opposing MH Pluto.  Aaargh!!  But yes, strengthening.  In my case, the family set was quadrupling in all areas simultaneously.  That way I couldn’t say, it was just this or that.  It was everything.  I had to stop everything and walk through the heavy dirt,  instead of running to something else in hopes of escaping.  Neptune is on IC now, last pass.  I’m feelin pretty dern good about now.  Kanock on would.

• David5379 says:

ha funny thing about uranus, i think it bumped into my sun right when everything went down, i think, it was just the finishing touches of a 4th house transit that was actually going on, but i think it was that dang uranus that set it off in the first place, or what uncovered what was in place

Uranus had its way waking me up.  I was not prepared for what I was seeing.  And less prepared with how to deal with it.  Slow but sure was the only way.  It wasn’t just seeing into the darkness, but how far those around me were willing to go to take others down.  Very self destructive.  That’s the thing that really really surprised me.  The self destruction just to take somebody else out.  The games seemed endless so I had to opt out of them.  I make better choices now I think.  I’m more grounded.  Maybe I needed to learn how not to be, before personal pluto power kicked in.  Note:  I got a pluto saturn square.  Feel like I must have needed to be squeezed out of a tube, like toothpaste or somethng.

I had all the biggies (Uranus, Neptune and Pluto) cross my IC too. At least we don’t have to go through it again :)

I did as well. Like you said it’s the last time and thank goddess for that!!

What’s your orb for conjunctions, Michelle?   I have Pluto conjunct my IC and I do not talk about my family. Or rather there are things we do not talk about in our family.  I felt reluctant to bring friends or boyfriends home, and we do not talk about my brother or other things.  Does the IC represent a parent?

“not talking about it”  .  .  .  I tried to introduce the elephant in the room for years to no avail.  Deafness is deafness.  I think not everybody gets it the same way.  And heck, if denial is working for you, why change, right?  That’s what heavy personal transits are for.  And not everybody works it out through family.

Most people don’t want to deal with things that are more easily swept under the rug.

I just don’t think it was an issue for them.  They had a scapegoat after all, me.

For aspects to the angles (IC, MC, Ascendant and Descendant) I give more allowance. Planets in aspect to the angles have a strong influence over the chart.

For a while I’ve been going back and forth about how tight to keep orbs, and it does seem like some people can “feel” an aspect that is technically out of orb. Ultimately, I think you should use your intuition and gut instinct to feel it out for yourself.

The IC/MC axis represents your parents.

My chart is full of scary shit then.  Mars rules my MC, conjuncts my sun and gets drawn into a tight square with Pluto, which is conjunct my IC. Throw in Eris on the midheaven (1’21”) and I have a T-square.
        Here’s the thing: my parents don’t like each other and I don’t think they ever really did. Sun-Moon compatibility aside, they are chalk and cheese. They are yellers and snipers and I know people who have had  obviously worse parents and childhoods than I did and their IC/MC axis isn’t as jacked.
        I can tell stories of power struggles and emotional blackmail and mindfuckery, but I get the feeling most people would think it’s nothing.

Huh?

“mindfuckery”  really screwed me up.  It became very amplified before I made a decision, no can be involved in that anymore.  It can become an entity with a life of its own.

Are they still together?

Yes, they’re still together.  They like to take me along with them as a buffer and I have perfected the art of tuning them out when they snipe at each other.  I think if I and my brother were more outwardly successful and they didn’t have the cultural background they have, they’d be divorced.  I’m not sure they use the mindfuckery on each other, but they certainly use it on me.  I am their selfish child who will not get with their program and the image they want to project to the world.

An acquaintence turned me on to a technique his therapist taught him.  He limits the amount of time he spends with his siblings.  At family gatherings, his wife taps her watch when the time is up so things don’t get dark and ugly for him.  Apparently it is worth it for her, too.

I wish I would have remembered that before I went to that family wedding last weekend.  Too long at the fair again.  Ah yes, old habits die hard.

12. Iago says:

Interesting post… It’s all very true. I have Scorpio Pluto sextile Virgo IC. Pluto’s connected to almost all points concerning family matters on my map, mostly by hard aspects. Despite the positiveness of the sextile, I have many problems related to my heritage, family etc..

I related to MsFullroller’s post about a cycle of death in the family. Since I was a little child, I think about death, especially in the family. As my mother was the first one, I kept thinking about who was going to be the next. I kind of did that as a way to prepare myselft to such events, but it just made me feel really bad — talk about “privately tormented”. No one really knows how I feel about my family and everything connected to it. Neither do I, I guess…

Incidentally, my family is also a secret on my life. Pluto really does its job here. Most people who know me don’t even care to ask about my family (which is an amazing thing), and when they do, I automatically tell the basics only. I don’t even think about it. Only two of my friends actually know where I live and none of them have ever seen any of my family members.

I had to laugh about people not caring about your family.  I had this boss who was comparing me to someone else and said, she is like you, she has no family.  I replied what do you mean, I come from a big family.

I lost two siblings 6 years apart by the time I was 10, so I thought it was just normal.  But I know it really freaked out my parents and older siblings, which left its mark.  It took me a long time to get that.

I’m sorry about your siblings, billow.

Pluto is so secretive. I also have Pluto sextile the IC.

When I was younger I tried to tell people about my family but I felt like I could never make myself understood. I eventually stopped trying. Now I give bare bones information.

Yay, making myself understood.  That’s been the whole problem.  Totally fruitless.  Wasted breath for sure.  After the whole debauchal (?) around the parental deaths, I don’t go into too much detail either.  It’s so convoluted, there’s just no way to condense it.

When I was a kid, I once tried to tell an outsider (an adult) about something that was going on inside my household – they happened to phone our home during a particularly traumatic episode, so I screamed into the phone what was happening and asked for their help.  But they ignored me, so I guess I figured everyone else would too.  Years later, something finally happened that was dramatic enough to warrant outside attention, and after that everything began to change for the better (at least in terms of my external circumstances).  It was a drastic change that resulted in my ‘freedom’.  I’m not ashamed of anything, yet I rarely share the extent of what happened in our home – most people don’t get it anyway, so I also give ‘bare bones’ information.  I’ve probably done the most sharing via astrology sites.

I also relate to what Billow said about it being a waste of time trying to explain about everything that’s happened, especially as it relates to the illness and subsequent deaths of both parents during the past decade.  Even family members who *should* know, pretend much of it didn’t happen.  It’s part of a larger pattern of abuse and denial – manipulating family history and revising events allows people to feel better about not getting more involved when they could’ve made a difference.  Ironically, we’ve experienced this same phenomena with our landlord as we’ve tried to remedy certain conditions in our current home.

Like Lago, friends rarely visited our home as I was growing up – it was a hostile place much of the time.  Instead, I spent as much time as I could manage at the homes of my friends.  Now it’s different.  People actually like to hang out at my home.  I do too, so much so that I think I *hide* here sometimes.

“friends rarely visited our home”  .  .  .  oh my, this would be a MH pluto difference.  MH is more public?  Growing up our house was always open to friends stopping by.  They were pluto in cancer.  My parents were friends to everyone.  The only ones my mother kind of whined about were the ones who continually showed up at meal times, empty handed, and I don’t mean they were needy.  My parents did not have a vengeful bone in their bodies.  Any anger was very clear cut and honest.  And it didn’t exist when friends were there, that was always a celebration.

My parents were also from the Pluto in Cancer generation and they did have lots of friends and were always happy when they dropped by, as was I.   It just wasn’t a very inviting place for *my* friends to hang out, unless my dad was away.

I see your point, billow – don’t know if friends visiting the home would be more Pluto/IC or Pluto/Midhaven.  Guess I’ll have to wait for another of Michelle’s posts.

Interesting “their friends” vs “my friends”  .   .   . although I did consider their friends my friends.  But I don’t think they considered my friends their friends.  And come to think of it, my friends and I spent alot of time outside with team sports, biking, exploring, fishing, ice skating, sledding, etc, romping in the green space.  No wonder I feel so “at home” in the natural sciences.

• Iago says:

Matters about home and family are mainly represented by the Moon and the IC. The MC is public but it’s more than just having some people knowing you and visiting your house, it’s less ordinary, more global. And, well, in many cases the planet in aspect with the IC is also in aspect with the MC, so they are always connected somehow.

Great post! I’m really glad you wrote this post because I hadn’t taken the time to consider my IC aspects, and it turns out that I have quite a few, and the Pluto/IC aspect is one of them. I have Pluto in Libra semisextile my Scorpio IC.

I can relate to the following:
    Family members who are shrouded in mystery. Taboo family secrets.

and to a lesser extent:
    Power struggles with family members.

IC aspects, by themselves, seem to get glossed over.

Why do you think it is that the IC tends to be ignored?

Possibly because it’s so buried and private, but mostly because it’s not as “glamorous” as the ascendant, descendant or midheaven.

• Ebonystarr55 says:

That makes sense. It seems like more internal processes don’t seem to have as much sex appeal to the masses oft times. At least that’s how I see it. Anyway, thanks for your insight, as always, Michelle!

“sex appeal” .  .  .  it really isn’t a very pretty process and no one really gets it like the one processing it.  I don’t think I had a choice.  External events made it necessary.  Somehow, I feel that going through this has helped me to better exercise free will.  And ultimately, it has made me more accepting of others in their own light.  My present challenge is discernment without being judgemental.  It’s just not a road everybody takes.  Some seem to get a free ride.

14. billow says:

It finally dawns on me what I have been doing here.  It’s the Saturn Pluto thing.  I am thinking my sun jupiter, outgoing, open, even gregarious hates the idea of restriction.  But what I have really lacked is healthy boundaries.  Everybody has private space that needs to be honored.  It’s not a secret.  It’s just private space.   I was surprised when I read that children of alcoholics, whose private personal space is often threatened, spend time hiding in closets where they can collect and feel safe.  So the transiting saturn in libra thing for me on this site with the largely pluto in libra generation participation has been helping me to set healthy boundaries.  Not an easy task with transiting neptune squaring natal saturn.  Slow but sure again (that’s gotta be pluto in cap, more saturn pluto accent).

15. Leahnine says:

Thank you! This explains my urge to go to a workshop called “Peace on Earth Begins at Birth” about natural midwifery.

Cool :) Are you studying to become a midwife as a profession?

16. Micheline says:

I read this and it some of what you say has happened in my own family.  I have my ic at 12 scorpio and have my venus in scorpio conjunct my with two degrees. I went to more funerals in my childhood compared to my now 26 adult years.  By the time I was 15 I had lost my mom and dad.  After, they were gone.  I had to do a lot of moving around.  It was kind of nuts.  It is a wonder that I got through all that stuff.  I feel I turned our pretty good though.  Now, my life seems so easy compared to when I was a child.  Amazing eh!  I do feel very fortunate to have such great friends and well the remainder of my family are pretty cool too.  Lucky me.

Where is your Pluto?

Thank you for reading, Micheline.

• Micheline says:

Hi, Michelle.  It is a real pleasure to read your writing.  It is truly really good stuff.  My pluto is in my second and part of a stelium with mars and uranus in virgo conjunct the second house cusp.  I think what happened though was that I had pluto there in the fourth house transiting when I was a kid.  I am a sag with a leo ac but I have a lot of earth and some water compared to  air and fire.  I have hardly any air actually.  Only two planets.  The sun also rules my chart and my sun is posited at the end of my fourth house. I know a lot people say that when a planet is close to the end of a house they usually interpret it as being a part of the next house.  I feel that it should be both.

17. Rmary_13 says:

Archaeology <3 maannn i would totally train and study for that if i didnt feel like $$ is necessary to provide my family with everything they need! And what you said about liking privacy just nailed it! My friends think i can be antisocial at times but i actually can have lots of *fun* w myself
    Your interpretations come out as very unique :) keep the good work!

Thank you for stopping by, Rmary_13 :)

Thank you for stopping by, Rmary_13 :)

18. Astrobie says:

Interesting. We knows that Pluto is very far from the earth and in many astrology (Vedic Astrology) people do not consider it in horoscope, however we cannot ignore its impact.

For what it’s worth  “It makes poetic sense that pluto would go from being the smallest planet to the largest of the kuiper belt objects (where it is believed that comets come from)–essentially making it the king of the comets.  Given the reputation of comets as omens or messengers from beyond, it would certainly be in keeping with pluto’s status as lord of the underworld.  Edmond Halley, the discoverer of halley’s comet was a child of pluto. ”  (Christopher Renstrom, Ruling Planets)

Very nice, billow! Me gusta :)

• Earnest Dodge says:

I like that idea of Pluto as king of the comets.  Chiron too was at one time a comet, and the issues (traveling into the Underworld and returning, known mythopoetically as katabasis and more conventionally as death-and-rebirth) which attend each are similar.

19. billow says:

I still can’t quite nail my natal mh pluto to the ic.  Unless it is that I like to feel at home out in the world.  It has to be a growth experience.  Boredom is not an option.  It has to move.  I may work or play at something and then it detours into something else and that detours into something else, etc.  As far as family, they are all defined by professional status and well defined interests.  What I do is inconsequential to them.

I am finishing up my schooling and now it’s what ami I going to do now questioning time.  Fellow students all seem to know.  I think finishing a pre-structured thing is quite an accomplishment for me.  I haven’t looked for work while schooling because that’s the way I never get a degree.  Get a job in whatever I’m studying and no degree again.  So when they ask, all I can say, is I’ll follow some leads and see where it goes.  Maybe Msfullroller is right that it is futile to fight The Transformer.  It has been a most magnificent ride in that respect, minus the personal family business wrap up and warped business politics.  That stuff was a really rude interruption.  I really don’t want to have to relocate.

Pluto/MC, or even Scorpio in the 10th, often show power struggles with authority figures and the urge to have some kind of power out in the world. I know a number of people with those placements who feel driven to become executives of major companies (not small businesses).

“power struggles with authority” .  .  . you mean not everyone does?  LOL

I work well with executives if they have their heads on straight like not just power for powers sake.  My hidden virgo in the 10th with sun and jupiter, perhaps tempers the maniacal need to be at the top of the heap?  I have taken alot of responsibility to keep things functioning and have gotten obsessed with work towards the success of businesses or projects.  That drive is more like an irritation now.   As is being pushed into those positions of power.

:) Almost everyone does, but some people it’s a major theme in life.

I’m running into a lot of people lately with major 10th house influences.

20. Earnest Dodge says:

Pluto at 1 Libra conjunct 26 Virgo IC.   Step-father who physically and sexually abused me as a young child. Grandfather, mother, brother, and cousin all committed suicide during my life.  No family to speak of now.  Finding the shamanic path at 18 accidentally through LSD.  Finding that peace is something inherent within me, not outside of me.  Having multiple experiences of being reborn.  Learning techniques of ecstasy.  Love!

You’ve been through a lot. How do you define “the shamanic path”?

• Earnest Dodge says:

I define the “shamanic path” as the life journey through which a person realizes over time how to transform consciousness in accordance with will, and thereby “travel” to other states.

• Kat says:

My step-father was sexually abusive to me and physically abusive to my little brothers

• Kat says:

21. Kat says:

how do the signs in which your pluto and IC are placed influence the meanings?
    I have Pluto Scorpio and IC Capricorn

Good question, Kat. The planets show archetypes … certain patterns of behavior. The signs show how those archetypes will be expressed. For example, the Moon is often thought to represent the mother archetype. If you had the Moon conjunct Pluto someone might think you’d had a very intense mother. If you go further and say that the Moon is in Gemini then we know that your mother expressed her motherly side in an intellectual, witty and sometimes fragmented way. Does that make sense?

• flower says:

What does it mean when its moon square pluto. Moon leo pluto scorp?

One interpretation is that your mother was uncomfortable with her own repressed desires, needs, and longings and that you picked up on it. She might have a conflict between doing what’s popular and what will give her attention versus going deep and potentially cutting people off … unless, of course she’s a well-integrated person and happens to be deeply creative, passionate, warm, and intense in a positive way :)

22. Kat says:

I have related to everything written in this blog, it is so real that I’m shaking right now. Just dealing or passing by people, i always feel outside pressure especially with the re-birth and having to change-i almost feel forced

Pluto does make things feel like they are not within your control (even if you’re trying your hardest to control them!)

• Earnest Dodge says:

Since you, having Pluto in Scorpio, have not yet experienced your Pluto square Pluto transit yet, I would suggest that it may be at this time the issue of “feeling forced” will be resolved.  Not that it must not happen until then– only that if it hasn’t by then, that particular transit will bring up the issues which cause this feeling and allow you to resolve them for good or bad.

23. Crypticview11 says:

i’ve got Pluto conjunct my IC in Scorpio. During my adolescent years and even now as an adult i am very secretive about my immediate family. I have many memories of very intense times in my house and between my parents. I learned to keep secrets and “put on a happy face” at a very young age… i became accustomed to chaos. I still feel shame and guilt about the way things were at times. I would often stumble upon things that i was not supposed to know about….

Thank you for stopping by, Crypticview11 :)

24. Guyslash says:

I have Pluto in the 4th house

What insights can you share?

25. sweet-scorpion says:

Pluto in the 12th, sextile Pisces IC at 29 degrees.

I saw another on here comment “No one really knows how I feel about my family and everything connected to it. Neither do I, I guess…”

I am the SAME way. I HATE these people, yet I can never fully show it! No one in this family can tell the depth and intensity of my dislike and disgust towards their ways. Many family members are dramatic, troubled souls, mentally disordered and very horrible to get along with. As a child I was interested in death and the occult too. I felt very distant from my family roots, and didn’t feel a part of the family… sometimes I wondered if I was adopted. Also, interestingly enough I have had many psychological power struggles [12th house influence] with 2 Scorpio Suns in the family, and other people in the family too. I have also witnessed many strange deaths in the family. I have lost many family members, aunts, uncles, grandparents, distant relatives in strange and traumatic circumstances, and saw a relative die. Yet the people I hated the most, my mother, my father, my maternal grandmother, never would die or have anything come back onto them.

26. Jas says:

I just came across this article…wow what an enlightened moment for me !! I

I dont even know when it was written (lol) but it hit the nail on the head.

I have been living with my partner for 5 years, and only just saw that he has Pluto conjunct his IC, within a 1 degree orb ! And let me tell u, it’s been an absolute gut wrenching painful experience.

I ‘ felt’ Pluto in our mess BEFORE I even looked at his chart. And now I have the Eureka moment. And sometimes I feel that he projects the Pluto stuff onto me, instead of dealing with it and owning it himself.

Just as a matter of extra detail, I had a Pluto transit of my moon, after it went through my 4 th house,, and my IC so I guess I should be pretty used to Pluto energy, but with this placement energy being brought into my home, my sanctuary it is really really painful.

Thank you and Blessings Michelle, and to all who have contributed here…I am not going mad after all..lol

Thank you for the reply, jas. Astrology is reassuring sometimes, isn’t it? I always feel better when I realize it isn’t just me. Also, this post is not that old but all of the posts are written to be timeless.

• Jas says:

Your are welcome Astrofix..totally agree, sometimes the ‘not knowing’ as in via Astrology can bring some comfort…at the moment my partner who i initially who i wrote reply about, is also having a Pluto transit of his DC..added to have Pluto on IC natally, it is now by transit on his DC.

It is a very difficult time for our relationship and me.

I hope it can ease off , but Pluto transits always leave scars…dont they ?

I don’t know if they leave scars as much as they leave you a different person.

27. junagu says:

Glad I found this page and thread, though I think it may be a bit old and dead. Going through pluto square pluto right now and Pluto is conjunct my IC in Scorpio by 1 degree. Everything written here I can relate to. Having Christmas by myself and feel totally alienated from family. Massive guilt trips and power struggles with MAternal figure. My home is never visited by people unless I can really trust them or have a very intimate relationship with them. Currently in a relationship with a woman with Pluto conjunct her ASC on the 12th house side.
    The purging of home is something I know much about. I also have Uranus in 4th and I’ve moved at least once every year since I was about 18 (now 38) and this last year or so have moved home 5 times. Until recently lived out of a rucksack for 5 years. Constant purging of possessions and memories and work related things (destroying archives, throwing everything out and starting again, changing identities and names and sudden ends to projects beyond my control, seemingly).
    No career at all except my extremelly uncommercial work as an underground rock’n’roller producing obscure, difficult, dark sounds that no-one wants to hear. All of this compounded by Saturn in 12th in Cancer so no recognition for what I do. But I carry on anyway as my music is my therapy. A lot of time spent doing things alone in the dark. A constant feeling of being in the dark and not knowing what is going on.
    Long periods of isolation and a feeling of having no friends. No-one to rely on but myself. Feelings of loneliness even amongst people who would be friends. Mercury and Venus conjunct on cusp of 8th house.
    Huge polorisation of public image/private life. (also Aquarius sun on DSC square Uranus.) A lot of public transgressing of taboos, very unorthodox public romantic relationships.
    Some secret I can’t remember in the family when I was young. I have removed myself entirely and left a big hole in the family, esentially fragmenting it.
    Etc. ;-)

28. junagu says:

Some more.
    I have gone to great lengths to purge everything out of my life other than my obsession (music, art, creativity, which requires long and lonely journeys in to the underworld) and there is no-one stearing this ship except me and I’m not in control. This is the one sucess I feel I have in my life. Yet also it is a prison, especially seeing as it doesn’t seem to mean much to others and has very little outlet and doesn’t reach people either (mainly because I often go through intense feelings of embarrassement about what I do and don’t want to be seen). Even though I move house a lot I end up being very house bound and can’t go anywhere. My “work” is constantly on my mind and pulls me back to it all the time. A definite obsession. Usually my only way of breaking out is to up sticks and move to a different place where I usually end up house bound again. Sounds fun huh?

Intense stuff! Embodiment of Pluto/IC!

• flower says:

I also love music and have scorpio on IC 4th house. I feel the music when I listen to it, like I’m an extra or I was taking part in the making of the song. I go into my world of vivid fantasies and start role playing scenes lol. I dont play instruments (not yet) want to learn violin but need money to get one. I also love to write stories, poems, blogs, and sing and dance. Do you have moon square pluto by any chance or pluto aspect with ascendant? Just wondering because you mentioned not wanting people to come round unless you reallly trusted them and feeling alone around people that are supposed to be your friends. I think it’s to do with wanting to control your environment to compensate for your feelings but I might be wrong maybe you don’t have this? It makes sense though. You don’t want just anyone coming into your home. It’s your safe haven. I have these pluto/moon and ascendant aspects and it’s annoying when someone is drawn to me or physically attracted to me but I dont want it and I turn on my bitch switch or try other means to deter them for example, especially if I’m in that kind of mood and don’t want anyone to bother me but have to dash to the store or town or something. It can be hard work in relationships, where all barriers have to be loosed and yet I AM seeking a deep connection with someone but it makes sense to be picky. I feel like the emphasis has to be on the connection and the depth of it. I have pluto sextile pluto transit and a LOT of chiron transits, about 4 or 5 I think but mostly positive really. I feel like I will be a new woman after all my heavy transits going on, especially involving my moon and saturn and moon and jupiter.Hope you find something profitable to do, and I’m sure you will get recognition soon enough at least for something that pays well, cos moving around sounds expensive? And good luck with the relationship. All the best with everything though :)

• Junagu says:

No Pluto /Moon or Asc aspects but aspected with Neptune in 5th house.

29. Michael says:

Hi Michelle,
    Fascinating stuff – slightly off topic – not much Pluto involved (till the end), but I’d welcome any insights.
    I am just starting to explore the influence of the IC on the natal chart. I am estranged from my only sibling, elder brother, we even live in different countries. He is perhaps borderline Asperger’s, but I’d just as soon come out and say he’s from another planet – he has Chiron and Mercury conjunct his IC, inconjunct his Pluto, so he’s a little weird and Spock-like (highly intelligent, rational, but showing nothing personal).
    He had three children (it was his wife’s idea!) and his heart opened a little, but only to them. I would love to talk to him about the past, about the barriers that grew up between us, but well, barriers are barriers, aren’t they? So no dice – he would rather have his nails pulled out with pliers than open up to me.
    To cut a long story short, his second child, a boy, has Pluto exactly conjunct the IC, and I can imagine all the keywords in your article fitting him perfectly – the house he lives in is packed full of secrets, and his parents are very controlling, and inevitably there will be problems for the three kids, but it is the second whose chart has it the worst (Mars opposite Saturn from the 2nd to the secretive 8th house looks challenging), and I am wondering if and when the Event will happen. The boy is only just 17, so he has time enough, let’s see.
    Meanwhile, I have Pluto in the 8th, so of course I’, nosey about other people’s lives and ‘real’ values!

30. flower says:

Neptune in capricorn/IC, and Pluto/IC, & Venus /IC in SCORPIO..any comments? Basically from experience and my knowlege, the home is a source of comfort for me. I’m deeply attached to it and cancer in 12th house emphasises this even more.When I was at uni I spent a lot of time indoors, and I do the same now am at “home”. I love my privacy and thats not to say I dont like to go out or socialise. I do but I also like my comforts. Anytime I’m stressed or drained or need a break from outside world thats where I recharge my batts, meditate, release emotions, etc. Pluto in IC makes the family home a very unsettling place for me, since there has been many tensions, my dad being absent, my mum being very controlling. I love the sense of family but I still basically want my own space and other aspects in my chart emphasise this. I really miss uni sometimes because I loved my independence. Would have stayed back if I had a job. At times it was lonely, but not lonely in the sense that I was all alone but in the sense that I felt I had to get away somewhere, and get myself around some sort of family unit or people that would increase the comfort so it wasnt just me in a room all the time. As for Venus conjunct IC, thats something to do with beauty. Im not big on decoration and beautifying the home but I still get the whole thing about harmony, being attached to your roots, childhood etc. Thats very true. I always remember childhood memories, songs, music I listened to with childhood friends, games, playing around, discipline, the restrictions and the innocence and I feel I still interact with my inner child. I feel I have to be my own parent and the transformation is already occuring whilst am at home. Eventually soon can find a good job so I can move out and be officially independent and create my own support unit elsewhere.

31. Lynn B says:

I was born with Pluto conjunct my IC….My mother had severe postpartum depression after I was born and thought I was evil and was unable to hold me. She also was very controlling and domineering. The best thing someone with Pluto in the 4th house can do is MOVE away from home…..far away….break away. I felt like Marilyn Munster in the Munster family. I was the sane one but everyone else in the family thought I was the strange one….lol

Yes, that is often the case. When Pluto transited my IC I moved across country … I needed physical separation from my family.

1. Pluto/MC Aspects » AstroDispatch.com » Astrology Around The Web -

[...]   Planets in aspect to the Midheaven, or MC, are always also in aspect to the IC. Posts are split up between MC and IC to show the different point of view that each of the angles brings to the natal chart. To learn about the flipside of Pluto/MC, read Pluto/IC Aspects. [...]

2. Pluto/MC Aspects | Pluto/Midheaven Aspects | 10th House PlutoAstroFix -