Each person in a relationship has one Venus and one Mars. Each Venus and each Mars pair off to create two astrological couples.
Two pairs of lovers
If you have Venus in Aquarius in the 9th house and Mars in Scorpio in the 12th house, and your partner has Venus in Virgo in the 3rd house and Mars in Leo in the 4th house, you have two pairs of lovers:
- Venus in Aquarius in the 9th house and Mars in Leo in the 4th house
- Venus in Virgo in the 3rd house and Mars in Scorpio in the 12th house
Venus in Aquarius (9th house) and Mars in Leo (4th house)
This couple has a push-pull attraction. Aquarius and Leo oppose each other in astrology. Aquarius is detached and impersonal. Leo is warm and personable. Aquarius thinks Leo needs to get over himself. Leo thinks Aquarius is cold and uncaring. If things are good Leo becomes less self-involved and Aquarius remembers to care about individual people.
Being in the 9th and 4th house, these two clash on issues of travel versus home, growth versus comfort, and world culture versus personal culture. Mars in Leo is likely a “homebody” while Venus in Aquarius wants to see the world. Mars in Leo cares about his family and personal history while Venus in Aquarius is more interested in the history of whole groups of people.
Venus must respect Mars’s attachments to home and family. Mars must become less self-involved and more willing to get out and see how the rest of the world lives. This couple will experience the clash of wills. Aquarius and Leo are fixed signs and they are both stubborn.
Venus in Virgo (3rd house) and Mars in Scorpio (12th house)
Virgo and Scorpio are sextile signs. Virgo’s ability to see the details fits well with Scorpio’s desire to get below the surface. Both signs tend to be skeptical. Venus may feel neglected by Mars’s lack of interest in everyday life. Mars in Scorpio in the 12th house will wish that Venus in Virgo in the 3rd would free her mind of preoccupations and let go of reality for a minute. Mars in Scorpio’s secretiveness could make Venus in the 3rd upset. Venus in the 3rd wants to talk about what is going on and may resent his need for privacy.
The 3rd and 12th houses are both focused on communication, but their areas of focus are different. The 3rd house is about daily activities and relationships while the 12th is about otherworldly activities and relationships. Mars will have to snap back to reality and Venus will have to loosen up her daily agenda.
The dominant couple
Each of these couples has its own issues and compatibility. Sometimes one couple will seem to dominate the overall relationship. For example, if the person with Mars in Scorpio also has the Sun, Moon and Mercury in Scorpio, then that Venus in Virgo/Mars in Scorpio relationship might feel dominant. The relationship might revolve around communication and lack of communication. There might be less room for the Mars in Leo/Venus in Aquarius couple to have expression.
This is a simplistic way of looking at astrological couples. The big picture pulls in all of the planets and aspects, not just Venus and Mars and their relationship to each other.
- Androphonos, "man-slayer"
- Aphrodite in Greek, (Venus is her Roman counterpart)
- Aphrodite Urania (Eldest of the Three Fates)
- Epitymbria, "of the tombs"
- Goddess of Death-in-Life
- Goddess of Love
- Melaenis, "black one"
- Scotia, "dark one"
- The Fates assigned only one divine duty to Venus...to make love
- When Venus tried weaving, Athene, Goddess of Wisdom got so upset that Venus was infringing on her territory, that Venus apologized and never did a day's work after that
- Through a complicated chain of events, Venus and Persephone, Queen of the Underworld were in a fight over the affections of the handsome mortal man, Adonis
- She (at least once) renewed her virginity in the sea
- When Venus and Persephone fought over Adonis, it was Calliope, Muse of Eloquence, who handed down the judgment that the two Goddesses had equal claim to him. It was arranged that Adonis would spend 1/3 year with Venus, 1/3 with Persephone, and 1/3 by himself
- Mars (Ares), God of War was so envious of Venus's relationship with Adonis that he transformed into a boar and gored Adonis to death in front of her
- Hephaestus, her husband, laid a trap and caught Venus and Mars with a net, while they were in bed together
- Hephaestus tried to get all of the other Gods involved in his marriage problems, which Zeus (Jupiter), King of the Gods, thought was repugnant
- Magic Girdle: the magic girdle made everyone fall in love with whoever was wearing it
- Venus would not lend the Magic Girdle to any of the other goddesses
- Daughter of Zeus (Jupiter), King of the Gods
- Lover to Mars (Ares), God of War
- Mother of Eros (her son with either Mars, Mercury, or Jupiter -her father - depending on the source)
- Mother of Phobus, Deimus, and Harmonia (with Mars)
- Mother of Priapus (with Dionysus)
- Mother of many other children, including Hermaphroditus
- Object of both Mercury (Hermes) and Neptune's (Poseidon) affections (they were in love with her)
- Rival of Persephone, Queen of the Underworld for the affections of the handsome mortal, Adonis
- Sister of the Erinnyes, aka The Furies
- Wife of Vulcan (Hephaestus), whom she cheated on with Mars
- Arts Appreciation
- Beauty & Good Looks
- Charm & Romance
- Love & Flirting
- Relationship Commitment
- Style & Aesthetic
- Values & Self-Worth
- Wealth & Assets
- Your Taste in...Whatever (Al Gusto)
- Art reviewer
- Beautiful person
- Eye candy
- Fashion designer
- Graphic designer
- Interior designer
- Style icon
- Blows to your self-esteem (with Chiron, The Wounded Healer)
- Discovering you have a rival for the affections of someone you're interested in (with Persephone)
- Temptation (with Mars)
- Upsets to your relationship (with Uranus)
- Upgrades to your beauty routine (with Jupiter)
- Attack Dog
- Independent Contractor
- Instigator (they started it!)
- Ranger (probably with Jupiter)
- Solo Artist
- Apply energy
- Be active
- Cut ties
- Get motivated
- Get off your butt
- Move around, stretch, use your body
- Play sports
- Brother of Eris
- Lover to Venus